eleven

I'm back at work and it's busier then ever. I'm running back and forth from the monitor to the coffee machines. Whoever was supposed to come in to help me hasn't shown up and I'm left here by myself. The stress consumes my body. I go to take the next customers order. I greet them without looking up and ask them what they want.

"You know I think I'll try something different today, maybe an iced latte?"

My eyes perk up at the familiar face and a smile spreads across my lips, "Is that all, sir?"

Matthew purses his lips in thought, "Umm, I think I'll take a side of the cute barista too."

I let out a giggle, "Unfortunately, we're out of cute barista, but we do have some fresh chocolate croissants."

He lets out a sigh and shakes his head, "Fine, I guess I'll settle for two of those. Do you know when cute barista will be available?"

I look down at the clock on the screen in front of me, "In about half an hour."

"Ah, the croissants will be cold by then." He jokes as I ring up his order.

I look back up into his brown eyes, "I'll tell you what because of the inconvenience your order is on the house today." I smirk as I swipe my card. I hear him scoff in disbelief.

"Lydia, don't do that!" He exclaims as I pocket the receipt. I look behind him to see the line growing, and I let out a sigh.

"Too late, sir, and sadly I'm going to have to ask you to move due to the impatient customers behind you."

I hear him let out a laugh, "Well, the service at this establishment is just terrible. Don't expect me to come back anytime soon." He smiles before he heads over to the other side of the counter to wait for his order. I hide my laugh as I take the next person's order.

As I'm making the drinks I hear the doors to the kitchen open, and I see the worker who was supposed to help me.

"What the hell, Jeremy?" I ask him and pass him three drinks to place on the counter.

"I'm so sorry, my alarm didn't go off!" Jeremy has been here for only two weeks and has shown up late for half of it.

"Well, I'm off now. The rush has died down, you can handle this." I tell him before I untie my apron. I clock out and hop over the counter towards the booth Matthew is sitting at. I plop into the booth and let out an overdramatic sigh.

"Tough day at work?" Matthew laughs and I nod my head.

"I want death." I plainly say making Matthew laugh harder.

"Well, I have some good news for you." He informs me as he slides the extra croissant towards me. I raise my eyebrows before I take a bite. I let out a hum as it hits my tastebuds, god, these are so good.

"I happen to have the house to myself for the next week, and I was wondering if you'd like to keep me company." He flashes me his perfect smile and my eyes widen.

All of the possibilities of his wife coming home to us flash through my brain. She could have another surprise planned for him like in Los Angeles.

"Are you sure?" I ask. Fear drips off of my words.

He furrows his eyebrows, "Of course. Why wouldn't I want you to?"

"What about, um, what about your w-"

"She'll be in Arizona to see her parents. We're good." He cuts me off and I nod my head before taking another bite. I smile to myself thinking about the week ahead of us.