nine

It's been a month since mine and Matthew's shared night at my apartment. Since then, I've been falling harder and harder for him. The way he looks at me. The way he talks to me. They way he touches me.

Everything is perfect.

I've finally admitted to myself that I love him. I'm completely head over heels in love with this man.

Matthew has invited me back to Los Angeles with him, and excitement fills my body. I walk into the elevator and press the button to his floor. All I want is a hug from him. The elevator dings and I hurriedly walk out to his room. I'm a couple feet away from it when I see the door open. I watch Matthew and a familiar blonde walk out. My stomach drops.

Carrie. His wife.

She's latched onto his side and staring down at her phone talking about something. Matthew and I make eye contact. He gives me a pained look. I continue to walk past him, and our eyes don't leave each other's until I turn a corner. I lean against the wall behind me and place my hand over my mouth to cover my sob. I can feel my heart shatter. I slide down the wall and pull my knees into my chest.

I should've seen this day coming. It had to happen sooner or later. I told myself that I'd be able to handle it. I could just walk away, but I can't. Now I'm here crying in a hotel room hallway.

Why didn't he tell me? Why didn't he let me know?

I calm myself down and pick myself up. I wipe my tears away and brush out the wrinkles in my clothes. I'll just head back home.

I walk back into the parking lot to wait for my ride when I feel a pair of arms pull me to the side of the building. I let out a gasp and I turn around to see the last face I want to see.

"Lydia, I'm so sorry. She wasn't supposed to be here. She flew out to surprise me. This wasn't supposed to happen, baby-"

"Don't call me that." I cut him off and I see hurt cross his face. I quickly wipe away the tears that leave my eyes as they fall.

"I'm going back home, Matthew." I push past him and rush into my ride.

I knew what I was getting myself into. This is how it ends.