Wanting Independence

Eislyn P.O.V.

"Hello, I'm Marcie Links. I'm married to Emilio over here."

"It's great to meet you. I'm Eislyn Rose."

"Oh, yes. I know. Emilio talks about how wonderful you are."

"Ah. He's really talking me up, huh? I'm not as good as he probably says I am."

"It seems that you are. You did just hit our best hand-to-hand combat specialist, as Links calls him, in the forehead."

Using my thumb, I point to Dagger.

"Oh, this guy? Really? That's not the guy I know. Watch."

Abruptly and without warning, I smack Dagger on the forehead, earning a not-so-scary glare.

"See? He's not as good as he thinks he is."

"So it seems."

Marcie and I glance at each other, and then start to snicker as quietly as we can. Dagger wraps an around my waist, pulling me closer into his chest. 

"How old are you, Eislyn?"

"I'm eighteen. A few days ago actually."

"Then we must celebrate. You're an adult now!"

"We don't have to celebrate anything. I don't want to be a burden."

"You are no burden, and I love parties!"

My eyes widen in surprise.

"A party?"

"I'm sorry. I forgot you've gone through a lot. I didn't mean to-"

"Does everyone know that I've been abused?"

"I'm pretty sure, yeah."

Great. Now, I'm going to be the abused girl. Everyone's going to walk on eggshells around me. They'll all be scared I might break at any second. I didn't even get to tell people when I wanted to tell them. That's a really personal thing, and now that choice was stolen away from me. I guess it's for the best, but I didn't want everyone to think I'm just the saved abused girl. 

I clear my throat, suddenly feeling absolutely exhausted.

"Will I be seeing you tomorrow for girls' day?"

"Yep. I'll be here."

"I'm very excited, but I should really get some sleep."

"It's been a long day for you, huh?"

"Yes, it has. So, if you don't mind..."

"Of course not. Have a restful sleep, and I'll see you soon."

"It was wonderful meeting you. Hopefully, I'll get to know you better tomorrow."

"You sure will."

I push myself off of Dagger's lap, disregarding his concern for me, and I land on my feet. With a deep breath, I make my way up the stairs. I have survived worse. I can handle going to my own room by myself. I can tell Dagger is slightly confused about my attitude, but he doesn't comment. Right before I step on the first step, Dagger catches my hand. 

"Are you alright?"

"I'm just exhausted. It's been one of the longest days of my life, and I need to sleep. For as long as possible. I really need to get to bed."

"Can I help you?"

"No. I can do it all on my own."

Dagger nods his head, not really agreeing with what I want, but allowing me do as I please. 

"I'm here if you need anything. Anything at all."

"Thank you, but I'll be fine on my own."

I can tell Dagger isn't so happy, but I brush him off. I turn around and force my aching feet to move up the stairs and get me to my bedroom. I slide off my dirty clothes, take off the bandages on my feet, and take a quick shower (brushing my teeth as well). 

It takes me twenty exceedingly long minutes to finally sink into my covers, and I couldn't be happier to lay my head on the pillow. Oh, gosh. How did I survive without a real bed? How in the world did I not die in that cell? 

My eyes gradually close, and I fall asleep dreaming of Dagger's eyes.