Chapter Sixty Three - Present

Start from the beginning

"I'll start from the very beginning. I didn't know about her until recently, that is not until a week before I came to Cold-Bay. When I was still in London, I got a text from Max."

"Your cousin Max?"

"Yeah." Tyler retrieved his phone from his pocket and started scrolling through his text messages. "Max went to Boston for a Red Sox game with his date, and they were in the VIP area which is where he spotted a young girl and I'll quote what he said ′You think Vicky's dad came to Boston and had a little fun?"

When I glared at him, he quickly backpedaled and in his defense said, "That's what Max said and I was confused too." He showed me the old texts that Max had sent him, and continued, "so I asked him what he meant by that and he sent me some pictures of this kid."

I read the message on the screen.

Max: It's illegal to take pictures of unsuspecting people, especially children and I could go to jail for this. The lady there has started giving me the look. But this is unbelievable and sooooo freaaaky....you have to see this Ty. This kid looks just like our Victoria.

The text was followed by a couple of pictures of Honor with a family. Zoomed in shots of Honor.

"I got curious and decided to hire a private investigator. Turns out she was our Honor." He concluded, "Her name even then was Honor Lockhart as it was registered when she was born which was strange."

"So how did she end up with another family? We were told she was dead, Tyler! I lived all these years mourning her loss when she was out there with other people." I said as my body shook; I was starting to have shortness of breath, my chest was tightening with anxiety. I quickly pulled out the inhaler from my bag and put it in my mouth.

Honor tilted her head to look at me curiously.

"She didn't die that night when she was taken to the hospital. She got better but someone took her away deliberately and lied to us that she was dead. You and I never saw the body, and neither did my parents."

"Who did it?" I asked, "Who took her away?"

Tyler avoided eye-contact and I knew I wasn't going to like his answer. "You're better off not knowing."

"You have to tell me," I said, clutching the front of his shirt.

He heaved a sigh, knowing there was no way around it, "Your mother."

I was speechless for a few seconds as I tried to sink his words in.

"You're lying!"

He shook his head, "I know how you feel, baby, but that's the truth. Your mom, Isabelle...she was against you bringing up the child seeing as we were so young. And she hates my family, but you already know that and I'm sure she didn't want Honor to grow up around us. According to the information that I was able to gather from the investigator, she managed to take the baby away and gave it to a lady who apparently handed orphans over to wealthy families who needed children. I don't know the details but that's how Honor ended up with Joe and Alison Crandall."

I was overcome with shame. I'd suspected Tyler but it had turned out to be my mother who'd done this. Betrayal hit me hard.

"I think the arrangement was supposed to be temporary, your mom just wanted to keep Honor with a family for time being until you were old enough to take care of the baby, but this lady that she gave Honor to had given her away to the Crandall's. It was supposed to be for a year or two but the family refused to give the child back."

"That's the reason she never lives with us anymore." I said softly, "She's guilty of what she's done so she stays at grandpa's."

It all started to make sense.