Chapter Sixteen - Past

Past 

Tyler

I went home that night and pretended nothing had happened. I'd wrapped the hockey stick in plastic so T.J's blood wouldn't mess up my trunk and only after midnight, I came back to the car. There wasn't much blood on it, I'd made sure I'd hit him hard enough to not kill him but put him in a hospital bed.

I'd cleaned any access marks from the hockey stick with the hose outside the old barn.

The next day, there was news that T.J had gotten assaulted by someone in the parking lot. It didn't come as a shock when none of my teammates reacted to the news. T.J had it coming. The entire team knew that T.J had a lot of beef going on with a lot of people, inside and outside of school. It wasn't a surprise that someone had taken a club to his head.

Someone had to do the dirty work, and it had to be me.

"Can you believe it?" Vicky asked me the next evening. She and I were hanging out in her house the next evening. She was seated on the couch with the coffee table stacked with an assortment of snacks. "I should be feeling bad for him, but he had it coming, didn't he? I guess karma does exist."

It's not karma's doing. It was me.

I had that on the tip of my tongue but I didn't say it.

"Yeah, guess you're right." I agreed. "Too bad, I'll have to find a temporary replacement for him on the team."

I kept my tone light, playing pretense. If Vicky knew I'd done this, she would probably stop talking to me and I couldn't bear that.

Archer was in the kitchen making tacos. He loved cooking, and baking, god knows why he was playing hockey.

Oh right, because I'd pushed him to.

"How's your assignment coming along?" I asked Vicky, changing the subject.

"Noah and I just finished it this week, but I'm not sure we will be getting any good grade for it. How about you?"

"You already know I don't get along well with Harper. She calls me up so we could meet up and complete the assignment but all she wants to do is get in my pants."

Vicky laughed, "Can't really blame her, can you? I mean you are really hot." She fanned herself dramatically. "She probably thinks she would get lucky one day."

"She would have better luck at winning the lottery, trust me," I said.

Vicky giggled.

"Well, doesn't it bother you when other girls eye-fuck me?" I teased her.

She gave me a smile, "If it were up to me, Tyler Lockhart, I would have gouged out their eyeballs by now." She traced her finger from my cheek down to my jawline. "And if I did that, more than half of the girls' population in school would be missing them."

"You have my permission." I grinned.

"And what about you?" She asked, "what if someone were to let's say... 'eye-fuck' me?"

"I'd take a hockey-stick to their head," I said and instantly regretted.

She was laughing and then she stopped, her eyes going wide when it registered what I'd just said. It was, of course, easy to put two and two together for someone who knew me too well. By the looks of it, Vicky had done the math.

"Did you do it, Tyler?" She asked point-blank.

"Do what?"

"Did you or did you not hit T.J last night with your hockey-stick?" She asked me in a whisper, as if the walls, the couch or the tv could hear her.