40| This

Soundtrack: Miroirs: III, Une barque sur l'Océan by Maurice Ravel and Polovetsian Dances from Prince Igor: Introduzione by Alexander Borodin

"Are you nervous?" Yoongi asked.

Victoria smiled at him.

"Not really."

"Can you please stop looking like a couple, it's stressing me out," whispered Taehyung just behind them, forcing his way between the two.

"We're not doing anything!" whispered back Victoria.

"Yeah, yeah, you're just looking at him like you're ready to suck off his nipples and call him Daddy..."

Victoria's eyes enlarged as Yoongi sent him an outraged glare, however neither had the time to react before Hoseok shoved the Taehyung in the back, making him stumble forward.

"Asshole," the manager whispered under his breath.

Taehyung turned around with the biggest smile, eyeing him challengingly. He was going to reply something smart, but Victoria cut him by poking him in the ribs with her elbow.

"Stop this," she muttered, "People are looking."

Indeed, a few journalists were staring from the other side of the street, and Victoria sent them a stiff smile and a wave, alerting them they weren't exactly being subtle just standing there and peering.

"I just really hope this won't last too long. Award ceremonies can be so boring and I'm nearing my quota of sitting around and listening to old white men lecturing us about how lucky we are to be here listening to them," Taehyung continued as they walked.

The award ceremony was back at the hotel, in the banquet room to be exact, as it was followed by an official dinner. There were only three blocks between the hotel and the David Geffen Hall, and the little group was enjoying the autumn air, walking quite slowly on the crowded sidewalk. The sky was the color of bubble-gum, seashells, and ballet slippers; a faded pink that reflected against cotton-candy clouds, iridescent in the end-of-afternoon sun. Days were shortening and Halloween decorations adorned the front of stores and restaurants, plastic pumpkins and black cats glued to freshly cleaned windows.

Soon it would be winter, Yoongi thought, and the wind would sweep away the colored leaves to leave a dull grey background, until snow would descend over the city and cover everything in white. Where would he be then? What would he be doing? Would his career be over, or would he be preparing for his next concert? He would know in only a few moments, and the idea didn't thrill him for the least. Right now, he could still hope that they would snatch the first place and that everything would be alright.

"What are you thinking about?" asked Victoria with furrowed brows.

She was once again at his side, a bit concerned by his gloomy expression, while Hoseok and Taehyung were bickering somewhere behind them.

How Yoongi itched to circle her shoulders with his arm and pull her close. Instead however, he shrugged, shaking his head slightly.

"My old music teacher called me earlier," he decided on saying, which was the truth, just not the whole story.

He wasn't going to tell her the decision to end his career or not would depend on the outcome of the awards. This was just one of those things that better stayed unsaid.

"I figured," Victoria nodded, "Good news, I hope."

"Yeah, he watched us live, said we did a pretty good job."

"That's awesome! Then why do you look so serious?"

Yoongi pressed his lips in a line, again, deciding on telling her only part of the truth.