Chapter 12

20th January 1969

The White House, Oval Office

Jack stood smirking as Jackie fixed her dress. She was sitting on the sofa next to Ethel. “Yeah thanks.” Bobby shouted to the press before closing the door. He looked around startled as he saw his family.

“Hey Mr. President.” Jack smiled.

He blushed and started giggling. “Oh great.” Ethel muttered.

Jackie went and hugged him. “Congratulations Bobby.”

“Thank you Jackie.”

Jack got everyone a drink of champagne and sat down. “Do you know what I’ve been thinking about today?” Bobby said all of a sudden.

“What?”

“President Obama, I mean none of this would be possible without him.”

Jack nodded. “I guess you’re right.”

Jackie stroked his hair. She was looking forward to the future. Jack had surprised her and the children by organising a round the world cruise. She was looking forward to it. No press, just quality time with him. She kissed his cheek.

“Well I think we should propose a toast.” Ethel said standing up. “To President and Mrs Obama.”

Bobby held up his glass. “Cheers.” They all echoed.

Jack looked at Bobby. “And good luck to you Mr. President.”

He laughed. “I have Ted as Attorney General, I’ll be fine.”

They all hugged. The trip to the future bonded them together; they were doing everything in their power to prevent the worst from happening. Jack was pleased because he and Jackie had two more children Molly and Finn, and Onassis had never bothered them.

Bobby had met Rory and had a soft spot for her. He couldn’t wait for the next four years. This was his time to shine.

John and Jacqueline Kennedy died in 2005, three weeks apart. In their later years they enjoyed spending time with their family and grandchildren. Caroline was made US Ambassador to Japan while John married Carolyn and they run the successful George Magazine. Their two other children Molly and Finn are lawyers and live in New York.

Bobby and Ethel had 14 children in total. They served two terms in the White House, with which Bobby prevented the Vietnam War and the Cold War was ended in 1978. The Soviet Union folded in 1980.

Hyannis Port 1990

“Bobby, do you know what I think we should do?” Jack said.

“What?”

Jack took out the history book Obama had given them. “We burn this thing. We don’t need it anymore.”

Bobby smiled and lit the match. “We did it.”

“We changed the future.” Jackie said taking Jack’s arm.

“For the better.” Ethel added.