Chapter 8

Jackie woke just after six. She was nervous about today. Jack and Bobby had been told what happened in the future. She didn’t know, all she knew was that Jack died in 1963. She got dressed and decided to get some air.

She was standing quietly beside the Oval Office so the press couldn’t see her. She no longer smoked since Caroline had told her not too. She was hugging one of the pillars when she heard footsteps. “Good morning Mrs Kennedy-O….” President Obama stopped.

Jackie’s eyes narrowed. “What did you just say?”

He swallowed hard. “Umm… well… after Bobby died, in 1968 you married Aristotle Onassis…”

Jackie’s eyes blazed daggers. “What?”

Obama watched her. “I thought Jack told you?”

“NO!” She yelled. She looked up at him. “Sorry, I didn’t mean too.” She whispered as tears surfaced in her eyes.

He pulled her in for a hug. “Do you know much else about your life?”

She shook her head, drying her eyes. “Can you tell me?”

“Sure.” He smiled. He guided her into the Oval Office. Jackie listened intently as he told her about her life with Onassis, then on to her career as a book editor and single mother and her death. Jackie looked at him satisfied. “Any questions Jackie?” The President asked.

She sat forward. “Just one or two.”

“Fire away.” He smiled.

“Well when did my sister Lee die and Ethel and Joan?” She asked in her breathy voice.

“Oh….” Obama hesitated. “They’re actually still alive.”

Jackie’s face dropped. “What?”

“Ethel lives in Hyannis Port, Joan resides in Boston and Lee I think lives in New York but she could be in France.”

Jackie’s heart was racing. “I want to see them; can you get them all here?”

“Yes,”

“Thank you.” Jackie replied before going outside. She fell against the wall in shock. She had to go and tell Ethel.

While Jackie talked to Ethel, Jack, Bobby and Jack Schlossberg were watching a documentary on the lives of the Kennedy’s so they were fully prepared for the press conference.

“Grandpa?” Jack asked. Bobby sniggered at this.

“Yeah?” Jack replied ignoring Bobby.

“What’s it like being President?”

Jack looked a little startled but smiled. “Well it’s an honour but very tiring and just a word of advice if you become president, don’t choose your annoying sibling as Attorney General.”

Jack laughed as he watched Bobby scowl.  

Suddenly Jackie and Ethel came in. “It’s time.”

Jack nodded weakly and stood up. He hugged his grandson before looking at Jackie. “Well it’s now or never.”

Jackie nodded. “I have a surprise for you after.” She whispered.

“Oh, what is it?”

“Just some old faces from the past.”

“Okay…”

When the four reached the press briefing room door they looked at each other. “We’re Kennedys, we can do this.” Bobby said.

They all nodded. Jack slipped his hand into Jackie’s as they walked into the room to be met with bright flash bulbs and cameras. Jack and Bobby flashed their Kennedy smiles, scared of what would come.