I scanned myself in and slowly made my way to the grass clearing in the center. As I approached, I heard voices grow louder until I saw the subject standing next to Dr. Pierce. She was holding a clipboard, no doubt performing his daily mental questionnaire.

My gaze then shifted to the subject and I sucked in a breath. He was standing beside her, towering over her small frame and clad in a sky blue shirt that matched his eyes and accentuated his muscular chest. The subject shifted and I noticed that the back was cut out to accommodate his wings.

Stepping forward, the subject suddenly noticed my presence. His soft midnight locks shifted when he turned to look at me and I was overwhelmed with the urge to run my fingers through it. His eyes were as blue as I remembered, but without the glass between us, I could see that his pupils were flecked with green like the grass around us.

He was like sunshine, and by that, I didn't mean the hot blazing California sun, but rather a soft sunset that is so strikingly beautiful you couldn't help but stare.

For a long time, he said nothing. He kept still, simply watching me as if the slightest movement would send me running. He was so careful he hardly seemed to be breathing at all. When at last he spoke, his voice was distant, sounding almost as though he was a dream.

"A-arent you going to run?" He said, his soft voice barely audible over the bird song and the quiet gurgling of the creek behind him.

I felt a pang of guilt when I noticed him shift his wings behind his back and out of view, no doubt remembering my first reaction to them.

I waited a few moments trying to think of a response to somehow break this uncomfortable silence that had spread between us.

"Should I?" I replied finally, holding his gaze with more assurance than I felt.

He shrugged, breaking eye contact to look at the grass between us.

I exhaled. Squaring my shoulders, I took a few confident steps until I was only about two feet away from him.

"Well, I'm not going to. I didn't mean to run last time. It wasn't like I was afraid or anything, just surprised," I said. It was true. I didn't want to fear him if he didn't give me a reason to.

When he didn't look up, I tried again. "I truly am sorry for earlier, it's just this is all so new to me. In case you haven't noticed, I'm kind of lacking in the wing department," I joked, attempting to lighten the mood.

It seemed to work because I noticed that his lips twitched with the threat of a smile. His vibrant blue eyes rose to meet mine.

"Really? I ha-hadn't noticed," he said. It took me a second to register the sarcasm dripping from his timid voice. Dr. Pierce wasn't kidding about his social skills. It seemed like even simple conversation was new to him.

Though it's not like it mattered. I'm sure it was something I could help him overcome now that I would be spending my days with him. After all, if the stuck up researchers here wouldn't talk to him, then I would.

Besides, it wasn't his voice that threw me off guard. I could care less about what he sounded like at the moment. I was too lost in the depths of his eyes that held more warmth than I would expect given how he was raised. Those beautiful blue orbs seemed to tease and smile and glint all at the same time. Eyes that were focused entirely on me.

I suddenly felt warmth creep up to my cheeks. His curious gaze was intense. Unrelenting and undeniably intrigued by the girl in front of him. His eyes were growing more confident the longer we stood there. Taking in as much of me as he could. It was like he had never seen a girl before. Without the glass, I began to feel uncomfortable under his inspection.