TWENTY

Day 35
C.R.O.S.S. Laboratories
Aves Department
Section 3

ELIAS WAS QUITE a bit heavier than I expected. He was exhausted, and kept his head hung as I tightened my grip around him. With my arms around his waist, he had one arm slung across my shoulder, leaning on me for support. His frame dwarfed mine and with the combined weight of his wings, I struggled, dragging us out of the Observatory and into the Section 2 hallway at a laughable pace.

It didn't help that my head still pounded from being so gracefully slammed against a metal wall, not to mention I could feel the beginnings of a hand-shaped bruise forming around my neck.

But the nearing shouts of officers and distant police sirens kept me going. The terrible images of what would happen if they were to find us made me continue placing one foot in front of the other despite the pain. Besides, after what just happened, we were in no state to fight. We had to escape, and fast.

With each step, Elias leaned a bit more of his weight on me as we walked down the once pristinely organized Section 2 hallway. I remembered the first time I saw it, how all the scientists seemed to be working in union. Now, the halls were a blur of white coats as scientists frantically ran between rooms.

The smell of smoke filled my nose and I noticed one of the offices was lit on fire. Vaguely I could see the remains of my name printed on the burning door.

Researchers ran from glass room to glass room carrying arms fills of papers and beakers to toss into the flames. Burning their life's work, leaving no evidence.

Ignoring the chaos around us, we continued to walk, dodging the white coats that paused to gape as we passed. We were almost at the exit when one of the scientists ran in front of us, holding out a quivering hand.

"H-Hey stop!" He tried, but when he glanced over at Elias his face went and he swallowed. It took me a moment to recognize that he was the one Elias left in a tree a while back. I couldn't fight the grin that spread on my lips.

Elias noticed we had stopped moving and looked up, casting a lethal glare at the scientist's outstretched hand.

I watched in amusement as he slowly out it down, trembling. "Uh...never mind," He stammered, scooting to the side to let us pass.

I cast a look at Elias who met my gaze and nodded. Continuing on, we pushed right past the nervous scientist and to the exit doors. To my surprise, the lock was destroyed, slashed through by a set of claws. The mark looking disturbingly similar to the one on Elias's chest. With no other option, I used my leg to kick the unlocked door open.

The sun was blinding as we stumbled out of the exit. Squinting, I scanned the parking lot. I felt relieved to see that my car was still where I parked it, but that relief wad short lived when my eyes settled on the group of police cars stationed outside of the Observatory. There were a few officers patrolling around the cars and if they looked this way, we would be spotted.

Though in our favor they were still a distance away and if we were quick enough, we could still escape even if they saw us. All we had to do was make it to my car and we could drive away.

I sucked in a deep breath before looking up at Elias. "Okay, we are going to have to run. Do you think you can try?" I asked, glancing down at the way he clutched the wound on his chest. In response, he stretched out his wings, fluttering them a few times as he straightened. I watched as his face contorted in pain before relaxing to look down at me.

"Ready," he grunted.

That's all I needed.

Taking off, we ran to my car as fast as we could in hopes of not being noticed. Once we arrived, I went to the passenger side and released Elias so that he could lean against the car. Opening the door, I realized that he won't fit with his wings, so I put down the passenger seat to make room. After I helped him inside, he laid himself on the floor of the car with his head resting on the cushions of the back seats.

His eyes were closed and his breathing was labored after that sprint. I cringed when I noticed that blood has now completely saturated the front of his shirt. Without a second thought, I tore off my blouse, helping him to hold the cloth to the bleeding wound on his chest.

Wearing just a tank top, I paused when I heard police voices yelling out to us and took that as my cue to get going. Quickly, I ran around the car, hopping into the driver's seat.

"Hey you there! Wait-" the police called from the distance.

Turning on the car, I shifted it into gear and slammed my foot on the gas pedal, speeding down the road towards the exit. The gates were already open with officers questioning the burly guard stationed out front. At the sound of my car, they turned and, seeing us coming, started yelling at each other.

"Hey, stop! Close the gate! Close the gate!"

I watched in horror as the burly guard rushed back inside the guard tower. The gate groaned and creaked as it started to move, but I didn't stop. Flooring the gas, we sped through the closing gates and make it out just in time to hear them slam shut with a metallic clank.

I didn't even bother looking back, instead I kept my eyes trained forward as we picked up speed, taking off down the deserted road.