EPILOGUE

THE FOREST WAS silent. The deafening noise of the rain drowned out the familiar sounds of birds and other life hidden in the trees surrounding me. I could barely even hear my own footsteps pounding against the wet dirt as I made my way through the forest.

That was the main thing I noticed about living in Oregon, the weather was only good for a few summer months. The rest of the year was rainy, cold, and cloudy. In the six months we had been living here, it rained for three and counting. Aileen said it was a good thing though, that it kept us hidden. I clutched my stomach with my free hand.

I really hoped that was true.

After a little while, the rain began to lighten and I held the bundle of flowers to my chest and picked up my pace. Hopefully, I would get there by the time the clouds cleared. I knew I was getting close when I began to recognize certain trees.

When I first arrived here, every tree looked the same. I could have easily gotten lost numerous time in the forest without Elias's superb hearing. But over time, I became more perceptive.

Aileen showed me how to tell trees apart by their markings and branch placement. I could also find  the lake now by following the moss, apparently moss always grew on the side of the tree that led towards water. I didn't believe it at first, but it never failed me.

As a biology major, Aileen put me in charge of the community gardens. I wasn't a botonist or anything, but I knew more than the previous gardner who seemed to only be able to grow potatoes despite Alieens supply of different seeds. Since I started working, we now had an array of different vegetables, herbs, and even flowers.

Elias, on the other hand, helped in construction. With his strength, he helped harvest trees for wood. Not only that, but since he could fly, he helped carry the wood set the roofs for new houses and other structures.

Aileen said he's a great help, and I could see by how much faster buildings are being put up. Because of him, I was able to expand the community garden by adding a greenhouse to grow more delicate crops. And, with the help of the community engineer, we were also able to build a place of our own; a small two bedroom house with a kitchen, living room, and two bathrooms. It was beautiful. Elias even suggested that we put windows all throughout the house, so that it looked open and light. It took us almost six months, but it was much better than living in a guest room.

Elias had really opened up in the past few months we had been here. By helping around the community, he was able to get to know a lot of new people. He even goes out with the townsmen on their Saturday hikes. I remember the first time he was invited. He was so nervous to leave me alone, but with some encouragement, I was able to convince him it would be worth it. When he came back that night, I laid with him in our bed for hours, listening to all the stories he couldn't wait to share with me.

I never thought that I would admit it, but Aileen was right, we fit right in. I was even more surprised by how well Elias fit in. Everyone accepted him, no questions asked.

There was one occasion when the daughter of one of his construction partners had come up to him while he was working on a roof and asked him why he could fly. Apparently, it ended with Elias taking every child in the town flying. I remember being speechless as Elias told me how the children would laugh and cheer as he flew them around. It shocked me how good he was with children. I wondered if it was the first time he had ever even seen a child.

I smiled at the memories, pulling myself from my thoughts as I walked into the clearing. Walking through the grass field, I made my way towards the large stone that rested in the center.

I made it.

Walking up to the solitary gravestone, I kneeled, carefully placing the bundle of flowers I grew down. Standing back up, I took a minute to close my eyes and say a silent prayer.