fourteen

Wolfblood

14. Secrets & Lies

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Are Clarke and Lexa in there?" I said as I walked toward a tent with grounders guarding it.

"Emo ste. Hakom?" the guard said.

"Good question?" I said, taking a few steps forward. "Another good question. Which body part should rip off first?"

"Let her pass." I hear a voice say from behind me.

"Indra," I said, watching as the guard looked behind me before moving to the side.

"Aurora. The commander was looking for you," she informed me, and I turned around.

"Funny. I was looking for her, too." I said, giving her a fake smile before walking past the tent's curtains.

"What if we're wrong-" Clarke said as I entered the tent. "-and cutting the power doesn't disengage the locks?

"God, I hope not. Or else I'm screwed." I said, crossing my arms.

"When did you get here?" Clarke said.

"Not too long ago. Why?" I ask.

"No reason," she said, going back to worrying.

I look at Lexa, who was already looking at me. I nod toward Clarke, and Lexa sighs. She gets up from where she was laying down, and walked toward Clarke as she said, "You should rest, Clarke."

"We could blow the doors manually," Clarke said.

"Plans don't last very long in battle. Tiring yourself with questions already asked and answered is a waste of energy." Lexa argued, standing next to Clarke.

"People died for this, Lexa," Clarke told her. "It has to work."

"We know, Clarke. Maybe they wouldn't have been so many if you'd done the right thing." I said, whispering the last part, still upset about Tondc.

"You're doing what I did when I first took command." Lexa started, turning away from Clarke. "We can't move forward, and it's giving you too much time to think. Once Bellamy shuts down the acid fog and the battle begins, everything will be clear."

"What if he can't?" Clarke began. "What if it was too dangerous and I sent him in there anyway?

"Enough, Clarke," I told her.

After a moment of silence, Lexa said, "You care about him."

"I care about all of them," Clarke said as they both turned toward each other.

"But you worry about him more," Lexa said, and I sensed a little jealousy.

"Of course she does. If he gets killed, the plan dies with him. Right, Clarke?" I said. When she hesitated, I felt a pain in my chest that I haven't felt in a while. Am I jealous? "Right?!"

"Yeah, of course. I couldn't have kept us alive all this time without him. We need him. And now I might be the one who gets him killed." Clarke fought.

"That's what it means to be a leader, Clarke. The truth is, we must look into the eyes of our warriors and say, 'Go die for me.'" Lexa tried to convince Clarke, and I scoff.

"If only it were that easy. Can we please just get back to the plan?" Clarke questioned, turning toward the plans.

"No," Lexa said, and Clarke turned toward her once more.