nine

Wolfblood

9. The Village

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It was quiet in the tent as we waited for Abby and Kane to be brought down from the camp. I was standing in front of Clarke, who sat there looking down at her bloody hands. The hands she used to kill Finn. She started breathing heavily, grabbing the towel next to her, and began wiping the blood off her hands.

"Clarke," I called, but she just continued cleaning her hands, now sobbing. "Clarke, that's enough."

As I took a step forward to stop her, the curtains opened, revealing Abby. She looked at me, a questioning look on her face, and I shrug before turning to look at Clarke. Abby walked closer to Clarke as Kane came through the curtains. Abby grabbed Clarke's hands, stopping her from hurting herself.

"They would have tortured him. I had to. I-"

"Okay. It's okay." Abby said, moving to hug her daughter.

"I had to," Clarke said once again. "I had to."

"It's okay."

"This is all my fault. I told her to. If she went through with her plan-" I was interrupted.

"What plan?" Kane asked me, grabbing my arm.

"Raven told her to kill Lexa," I said.

"What did I do?" I heard Clarke mumble.

"Clarke-" I started, stopping as someone walked in from behind us.

Turning around, I see Gustus, who looked at everyone in the room. "The commander is ready to talk."

Nodding, Clarke pushes her mother off of her lightly, wiping the tears on her face. Taking a deep breath, Clarke finally stands up. I hear footsteps outside, getting louder, the curtain opening to reveal Lexa and an upset Indra.

I took a deep breath, trying to keep calm as Lexa sat on her throne, Indra and Gustus standing next to her on either side.

"Blood has answered blood." Lexa started. "Some on my side say that's not enough. They want the murderer to suffer as our tradition demands. But they do not know that your suffering will be worse. What you did tonight will haunt you until the end of your days. Still, there will be restitution. The body will be given to the people of Tondc. Murderer and murdered joined by fire. Only then could we have peace."

"No. No, we've done enough. The boy should be buried by his people." Kane replied.

"Enough? We were owed the pain of 18 deaths. We were owed our righteous kill. My village deserves justice." Indra argued.

"You don't want justice. You want vengeance." Abby told her.

"You have not seen my vengeance."

"I suggest you step back, Indra," I respond, taking a step forward.

"We'll do it." Clarke interrupted. "But when it's over, we talk about how to get our people out of Mount Weather. All of our people."

"We want the same things, Clarke," Lexa told her.

"Good. When do we leave?" Clarke questioned her.

"Now," Lexa said, standing up. "Choose your attendants."

I growled as Lexa, Gustus, and Indra walk past us, Indra bumping my shoulder on her way out.

"Clarke, you don't have to do this," Abby said.