ten

Wolfblood

10. Unity Day

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"My friends, this is a historic Unity Day. Every year we mark the moment our ancestors of the twelve stations joined to form the Ark, but this is the last time we do so while aboard her. Next year, on the ground," Jaha's voice sounds throughout the camp, applaud bursting out while all of the campers are silent. Everyone was watching Jaha's speech over the communications system. I, on the other hand, was seated on a log, picking at the bloodied skin under my nails from when I killed Dax.

"Right," I hear a voice say, looking up to see Miller gesturing all around them, "after we did all the work. Someone shut him up."

"You shut up, Miller," Raven states simply, Miller falling silent. "No one's forcing you to watch."

"For ninety-seven years, we have eked out an existence, hoping that someday our descendants would return to Earth. . . " By this point, I was already tuning out Jaha's voice.

I haven't seen Bellamy since last night and I honestly wasn't sure what to think as of right now.

"Woo! Yeah!" Jasper's voice sounds, bringing me out of my thoughts. Looking up, I watch as he walks out with a steaming pot, a large grin on his face. "Monty strikes again!" Running down into the center of people, Jasper shouts, "Let's call this Unity Juice. Who's thirsty?"

Everyone surrounds him with canteens in hand, having Jasper fill it with the alcoholic drink. I wasn't in the mood to have any though. Watch the grounders come tonight, and they are too drunk to even protect themselves, I thought to myself.

And even though everyone around me was having fun and celebrating, I didn't even feel a hint of happiness. When night fell, everyone around me was drunk and I was just preparing for something to go to shit.

Looking around, I notice Bellamy standing in the back, eating his rations for the day rather than joining everyone in drinking. I make my way over, Bellamy looking up at me.

"The comm's are still dead," I state.

In regards to the communications system, it had spontaneously cut out earlier during the Chancellor's speech about making their way back down to Earth by this time next year.

He nods, looking down at me while saying, "Best Unity Day ever."

"Well, I guess you could say it's good." I shrug. "My first time."

Bellamy's lips part, looking as though he was about to say something, but I quickly cut him off, asking, "Do you think now is the best time to be having a party? The grounder is out there."

"Grounders," he corrects. "By now, he's made it home. He's probably putting together a lynch mob. Relax. I got security covered." Raising a brow, he offers, "How about you go get a drink? You look like you could use one."

Letting out a sigh, I agree, "I could use more than one." But, I wasn't going to have any.

He smiles at me, insisting, "Then have more than one." I let out a soft laugh, glancing down at my feet sheepishly. I was getting flustered and I had no idea why. It's kind of irritating. "Aura, the exodus ship is coming down in two days. After that, the party's over. Have some fun while you still can. You deserve it."

"I don't know. It feels weird celebrating the day the ark blew up my station and came together." I say.

"Come on." Bellamy said, smile growing on his face.