37

❥︎❥︎

If I only knew what was about to come after that weekend, I never would've left and just stayed with my dad.

My professor in one of my subjects made a call to my mother, telling her about how I did not attend any of her classes for a week straight. I know I'm in the wrong but... she really could've just minded her own business.

Mom told me about it after she had a word with my professor. She went to the university and fetch me, and by then I knew I really fucked up. Neither of us spoke on the ride home. I can tell she's just saving her energy for all the scolding she'll give me once we're in private.

She slammed the door of her car and I didn't need to be told to follow her inside the house. I flinched a bit when she threw her bag on the couch, catching Uncle Lee's attention who almost got hit by it.

"Woah, what's wrong? What did I do?" When mom didn't answer him, he turns to me with a questioning look and I just sighed, lowering my head down out of embarrassment.

"Explain yourself." Mom says in authority, confusing Uncle Lee with what's happening.

"I'm sorry. I wasn't—"

"I'm not asking for your apology. I'm asking for an explanation. Goddamn it, Aoki!" I flinched again when she started yelling, getting Uncle Lee to stand up and went towards her to keep her in check.

"No, don't tell me to calm down. Do you know what she did? She've been acting like a rebel to me! My own daughter is acting like a rebel to me!"

"It wasn't like that. It's not like I did that on purpose. I had my reasons—"

"Yes! You have your selfish reasons! You're all about having fun, skipping classes and wasting my money behind my back! What did I tell you, Aoki? This isn't like you!"

"Ara. Ara. Stop shouting. We can talk about this without raising our voice to each other. That's still your daughter you're talking to—"

"No! I've had enough of you disrespecting me, Aoki."

"You heard her. She has her reason so please hear her out first—"

"Hear what? Hear how she's ruining the life I've been working so hard for her to achieve? I am paying for her school and I'm even letting her have her time with her friends! I listened to her when she said she doesn't want to do anything with Kihyun. I dropped so many things just for you and what did you do? You're wasting your life, Aoki!"

"No, I'm not! You can't tell me that just because I wasn't able to get to my class for a week."

"And you're even defending yourself? You and your selfish behavior and wrong doings? Are you hearing yourself, Aoki? You are throwing away your life just for the sake of having fun! You weren't like this before!"

I scoffed at the sight of my mom raging out. "You know nothing about me. You know nothing about what I'm going through."

She was speechless for a moment only to become angrier because I was talking back.

"What did you just say?"

"I'm saying that it's hard being your daughter. It's so hard and I'm tired. I never failed any of classes, I'm always on the first or second place. I've always listened to you and followed you everywhere. I've pushed myself so hard for you to be proud of me and I'm trying so hard to be your daughter when in the first place, I shouldn't even be trying. I didn't have the choice but to be your daughter."