36

❥︎❥︎

"You're really full of surprises, Aoki. Day by day, you never fail to surprise me." He scoffs and I slapped his thigh for that, knowing that he's teasing me about the time when I cut classes. I didn't tell him the reason why but it was because I met with dad since he was around. It wasn't even a major subject and it just happened that Yuta caught me red-handed.

We both twitched on our spots when we heard a door creaking open, mom and her partner coming out of their room. I brought Yuta home prior to the request of my mother last time.

Yuta had no choice but to come with me despite the late notice and he was obviously confused as to why he's suddenly invited for a dinner at home. I think he's having a clue but I just couldn't bring myself to tell him that my mom's suspecting him as my boyfriend.

Mom soon made the way into the living room where we've been sitting for about half an hour now. Yuta and I stood up to formally greet them and I couldn't help but mentally facepalm myself as my mom shows up wearing a dress and some heels just to have dinner at home. She's looking way too formal and intimidating.

"Good evening, ma'am."

Hearing Yuta speaking formally and respectfully was like a whiplash to me. He sounds different when he's serious.

"Good evening." Mom accepts his hand, acknowledging him while Uncle Lee stood behind her, just smiling a bit at him.

"So, you're the boyfriend."

"Mom, he's my friend." I leaned closer to mom, whispering as I feel the embarrassment creeps up in me.

She brushes it off and motioned towards the dining area mentioning about how Taeyong will join us later.

"Boyfriend, huh." Even without looking at Yuta, I can see that annoying confident grin on his face, oddly enjoying what's happening.

I nudged his stomach before walking ahead, joining mom and Uncle Lee on the dining table. Taeyong soon arrived with a bottle of wine, unnecessarily apologizing for being late as if it's an important dinner. Why is everyone acting like this is something like a formal dinner? Are they really planning to intimidate Yuta? Mom sure is, but joke's on her. If anything, Yuta is entertained.

"Yuta? Japanese?"

"Yeah." Mom started throwing questions on his way again but Yuta doesn't look fazed at all. He's as calm as a cucumber and I'm really glad for that.

She asks him about his background on business or if he knows anything about it and it was when I spoke for him in his defense. I know he can speak for himself but it was irritating how mom acts like everyone's into business. I had to remind her that Yuta's my friend and she can't disrespect him just because she invited him over.

Yuta did so good with handling the conversation. Mom seemed amused as the time passed by and I knew she was liking Yuta the moment she kept on asking him about his interests more than his knowledge about business and all.

"Thank you for coming, Yuta." Mom's still not dropping the formal act even after the dinner. Why is she like this?

"Pleasure's mine, ma'am." Yuta beamed his confident smile, knowing that he did well for the night.

"I'll walk him out."

Uncle Lee thanked Yuta one more time, saying how much they enjoyed Yuta's company and how they're looking forwards with meeting him again.

The first thing I did once we were out of sight was take a deep breath. We walked a bit further from the front of our house and I slap his arm to catch his attention.