Chapter 24 - Free

Ivy

'Stay back! Stay back! Come any closer and I'll slice her neck open!'

I held the knife to her throat, pressing the tip of the blade into her skin till it drew blood. She let out a sharp cry as my other hand tightened at the back of her neck. I was surrounded, guns pointed at me from all angles. In front of me I could see Paul with one hand out and the other to his hip. I glared in his direction, digging the knife further into her skin. Even from here, I could see it was a weapon. I narrowed my eyes at him, moving back towards the exit.

'Nobody fucking movie, put your guns down, I said put them down! Now!'

'Carly, Carly, calm down, put the knife down please, put it down and we can talk okay? Just you and me.'

'Ah, Inspector Sharpe, so nice of you to finally grace us with your presence, but I'm afraid I'm going to have to decline your generous offer.'

'Carly, listen to me, we can....'

'Shut up! And this isn't Carly Inspector, now if I were you, I would tell the other officers outside to stand down, tell them now or I will kill her, and her blood will be on your hands this time, not mine. Do it! Do it now! Tell them to back down, don't test my fucking patience. You've seen what I'm capable of.'

'Okay, okay, look I'll call them now okay, I'll even put my phone on loudspeaker so you can hear for yourself, just please don't hurt her!'

I watched as she lowered her gun to the floor and kicked it to the side, her eyes on me as she slowly reached into her back pocket and took out her phone. With shaky hands, she dialled a number and someone answered on the first ring. I knew it. Of course, they would answer. They had to if they wanted their precious inspector to see the light of day. Finally, freedom. I was so close, so close!

'Chris, it's me, listen and listen carefully okay, tell everyone to stand down and lower their guns.'

'What?! But Taylor!'

'Chris please, Ivy has one of our own hostages, please just do what I say and tell everyone to stand down, please.'

'Everyone, stand down, lower your guns!'

I smiled triumphantly as I saw the distressed look on her face. She put the phone back in her back pocket and raised her hands in the air. I laughed at the situation, taking in the sight before me, it felt amazing holding all the power, to see all there faces as they watched my every move, their eyes glued to my hand. The roles have finally been reversed!

'You're coming with me inspector, you're my insurance policy, you didn't think it would be that easy, did you? Now move, I don't have all day, I've got places to see and places to be.'

'Okay, okay, calm down, I'll move, just please let her go and you can take me instead, please!'

'No can don, now move! Unless you want another dead body in the morgue!'

The woman in my arms cried in pain as I pushed her towards the door, knife still held to her neck. She was trembling in my arms as she cried, her tears falling onto the back of my arms. Typical, this was meant to be easy it wasn't meant to be like this! I was meant to just walk out, but the idiot, Pual had to come and bloody ruin my plans. I watched as the inspector marched through the corridor, towards the exit. I followed close behind, feeling everyone's piercing gaze on me.