Chapter 4 - Fishing for frogs

Aurora's PoV

"Rory, when did your brother become so cute?" Rina asks, her eyes on Ethon's flaming form.

The urge to roll my eyes is just too hard to fight, which is not very regal of me. "I do not find him cute. A show-off, embarrassing, irritating maybe."

"Well, he is certainly not lacking confidence." Rina laughs.

With a sigh, I confess, "I am being churlish. It is just that he never seems to work at anything and yet succeeds with ease, whereas I always try so hard and often fail."

Like me, Rina will one day be queen of her kingdom. Hopefully, it will be many solars before either of us need to face that fate. However, I cannot help worrying that I will not be good enough.

"Rory, my darling, are too hard on yourself." Rina grips me by the shoulders, her gaze turning serious. "You are an inspiration to me. I can only hope to attain a fraction of your grace."

She adroitly changes the subject, unfortunately steering the conversation into even more dangerous waters and onto the carriage wreck of my first romance.

"So, where is hottie of yours? I have not seen Aidan tonight?"

"We ... I broke off the courtship." I wince hearing it said out loud. It has been a moon now, but the wound is still fresh.

"Oh honey, are you alright?"

I shake my head, my eyes prickling with the threat of tears. Causing Ade that much pain was one of the most horrible things I have ever done.

"What did he do?" she practically growls. If he were here, I would worry for his safety.

"Nothing. I-it was me. I could not give him what he wants. I could not love him like he deserves."

He was my first love and the one I gave my innocence to. We were together for three solars and he will always have a place in my heart. I know that he wanted more, but I what if my nightmares came true and I turned him into a frozen husk of a man, trapped within a loveless marriage?

Breathing becomes more difficult as my chest constricts. "Do you think that I made a mistake?"

He was not our mate.

"Oh Rory. If he is not right for you, then it was for the best that you set him free." Rina visibly relaxes and waves a bejewelled hand towards the Ballroom. "There are plenty of sexy young men out there. I am sure that we can find one or two to distract you tonight."

Typical of Dragonites, her attitude to romance is far more cavalier than mine. I am not sure that I have it in my to lose myself in the arms of a casual lover.

"Rina, I want what my parents have. A deep love, with friendship and respect. Someone to share my heart and my soul with."

"Darling, I yearn for that too. I envy you for the closeness of your family and the depth of affection that you all share. Kai has never been a real father to me and I doubt that he and my mother were ever in love."

Rina's eyelids shutter closed and her shoulders tighten. It is strange how you can think someone's life is perfect and yet be mistaken. I embrace her and stroke her glossy hair. "You are loved."

"I do not wish to mess up my makeup." Rina blinks hard and the shimmer in her eyes evaporates.

"Hey!" Saira announces her presence and waves a bottle. "Are you in need of good cheer? I have swiped a bottle of my grandma's finest."

"Saira, darling, you are goddess sent. Fill me up." Rina picks up her empty crystal goblet from the table.

"This is not a night for woes." With a warm smile, Saira pours out viscous crimson-purple liquid.