Chapter 15 - The fall

Elissa's PoV

"Ook!"

As soon as we step over the threshold, a leathery face with a halo of fuzzy red hair pops up from behind a stack of books that are piled high upon a large mahogany desk.

"Good afternoon, Sasha." I smile in greeting, which is met with a toothy grin that is not altogether friendly. I may be queen, but this is her domain.

Aren removes a pomegranate from his pocket and with a wink, tosses it towards the makeshift fort of manuscripts. A spindly arm whips out and catches the spinning red object. A softer 'ook' of appreciation indicates that we are granted access to her sanctuary.

Over the solars, my darling husband has become quite the ambassador. He has an innate ability to put people from all walks of life at ease. He can also discover, and more importantly remember, what their pastimes are and what their favourite drink, or in this case, fruit of choice is.

Threading an arm through his, we pass into the depths of the library. Altair and his wife Juliet follow a few steps behinds.

Once we are at a safe distance, Juliet asks her husband in a hushed whisper, "Who? What was that?"

"Oh, that is our librarian," Altair explains. "She is an Animage."

Ancient tomes line the walls, rising up as tall as trees, with galleried walkways encircling the large space and high up, weak winter sunlight streams through stained-glass windows. The crowning glory is the domed ceiling is decorated with romantic scenes depicting tales of old.

At the far end of the room, the shelving gives way to an open space area with an impressive marble fireplace and a scattering of high-backed leather armchairs, just perfect to curl up with a book. The library is one of my favourite places in the palace. I really should come here more often.

A quartet of seats and table set of high tea, await us by the cheery fire glowing in the hearth. It is a beautiful setting, less formal than my study and less prone to interruptions than the royal lounge.

Aren pulls out a chair for Juliet and once she is settled, readies the chair opposite for me. Aren takes his place in between us, while Altair sits on my other side.

The table is filled with temptations set out on tiered cake stands; one contains mini savoury tartlets and finger sandwiches, another is dedicated to a selection of delicious cakes, while the third has scones, still warm from the oven, a choice of fruit compotes and freshly churned cream.

"Orange blossom tea?" I pick up the long-stemmed glass teapot and pour the pale, steaming liquid into fine porcelain cups.

"Oh, yes please." Juliet's eyes brighten. "Such a treat. It is so hard to come by."

"Straight from the gardens of Babylon, no less. A gift from Arina." I take a sip and help myself to some tartlets, biding my time.

Once we have partaken in some food and exchanged pleasantries, I turn the conversation to the reason I invited them for tea.

"Juliet, have you given any further though to Celestia's invitation to your daughter?"

"I suppose that it is an honour, yet it feels a little late after all the solars that we have been shunned." Juliet reaches out and takes Altair's hand. "Moreover, we have raised the girls away from courtly politics and want them to forge their own destinies."

Unlike the rest of my inner circle, Altair resides in Juliet's ancestral home in the city. Despite hailing from one of Avalon's wealthiest families, she wanted a more normal upbringing for her daughters, away from the palace.