26. THIS LOOKS SO DOPE.

Start from the beginning

"Ben? You in there?"

No answer.

I turn around to leave when I see a small paper on the night stand. I walk towards the table and get hold of it. I notice it's Ben's handwriting.

Dear Eighteen,

I was hoping this day would never come but here we are. First off, I am extremely sorry for being a troublemaker in our team. I know I was being a complete brat but you won't have to tolerate me anymore.

Wait...What does he mean by you don't have to tolerate me anymore? My forehead creases in worry. I look back at the letter and continue reading.

I asked chief to reassign me and he did. I'll be taking a break for now or forever. I am not sure whether we would be crossing paths again but I hope we do.

Parting with you guys is going to be difficult. My heart bursts in pain on the very thought of being without you. But I wish you all the luck on putting an end to the criminal organizations through this mission.

What the actual heck? Is he out of his mind? Why would he leave the team?

Lastly, thank you for everything you have done to me. I will never be enough grateful. I am sure we will keep in touch no matter how far we are.

Sincerely,
Well, you know me.

P. S.

I am kidding. I am leaving to get something for Meghan's birthday. It might take a while as you know, we don't have any good stores around our neighborhood. And Liam whole heartedly volunteered to help me to get her something. Until then, toddles.

I complete the letter and shake my head. Why am I not surprised? I chuckle and place the letter back where it belongs to and turn around to leave the room.

I get to the living room to see everyone devouring the cookies. I walk in and join them.

"Where is Ben? And Liam? I haven't seen them," Alex quizzes as he takes another bite. Before I could answer, I here angry thudding footsteps approach us.

"Is it okay if I shoot an innocent? Please?" Liam comes towards my side and asks me with a pleading tone. I see Ben stroll in happily with a wide smile plastered on his face.

"Yes. On an act of defense, you can," I say. The very next second I see Liam pull his gun and aims at Ben. I see Alex roll his eyes and disarms Liam in a quick movement.

Ben ignores Liam and walks towards Meghan with his hands at his back hiding a gift box.

"Happy birthday Meghan," he says and brings up the huge box in front of him. Meghan gets hold of the box with a grateful smile.

That's a huge box. I wonder what Ben got her. Meghan unwraps the box in a quick movement. All of our eyes widened in surprise...or shocked. Shocked is more suitable.

"Umm... Ben... What am I gonna do with a Barbie doll?"

"Dolls. It's a collection of ten different Barbie," he says with a triumphant smile.

"Right, umm... Thanks. I feel like I am five again," she says with a light smile.

"You don't have to thank me," he turns towards Liam, "Liam got you a gift too."

"Yeah?" she asks as her gaze settles on Liam.

He lifts a box in front of him as passes it to her.

"Happy birthday Megs but for the record, Ben forced me to buy this," he glares at Ben but he is busy galloping the cake. Ben looks at Alex and stretches his hand.

"Pass me a glass of boneless ice."

Alex looks at him confused by his statement. "Huh?"

Ben rolls his eyes. "Pass me glass of tasteless soup."

Alex blinks twice still with confusion. "Pass you a what?"

I roll my eyes, "He needs water." Only Ben can come up with these names.

Alex chuckles and mutters something under his breath as he walks towards the fridge.

I hear Meghan laugh quietly looking inside the box. "Where were you guys? In children's aisle?" she asks and shows me a nerf gun. I highly doubt they bought it for Meghan. As far as I know Ben bought it for his own entertainment or to pull pranks on us.

"Good guess," he says with a thumbs up.

"Well, let's put your gifts on good use," she says and points the nerf gun towards Ben and pulls the trigger. He gets hold of an empty plate as a shield.

"You're getting old Megs. I can help with target practice. How about we start the training tomorrow?" he says with sarcasm lasing his voice.

"No thanks," she says as she places the empty gun on the counter. "I'll reciprocate sometime later."

"Please, be my guest," he says taking a sip of his boneless ice.