7. AYE! AYE! CAPTAIN.

Agent Eighteen's POV:

As I was gazing at the stars, I hear the sound of footsteps approaching me. I keep looking at the stars, not bothering to turn around as I know very well who it would be.

I hear the footsteps shuffle around the room for a few minutes before the person started approaching me.

I should have locked the door.

The footsteps got louder and louder with each passing second. I hear the balcony door slide open and close with a feeble thud.

Alex came up to stand beside me. We stood there quietly, letting the silence fill the air. It's a wonder how a dark sky can bring calmness to a wrecked soul. People around the world describe darkness as sadness but I, on the other hand, always focus on the stars.

The silence was cut off as a gush of wind passed by with a roar. Through my peripheral vision, I notice Alex turn his head with his eyes solely focused on me. I don't turn around as I don't want him to know what's running through my mind.

After a good few seconds, he turns back towards the sky, stuffing his hands in his pockets.

"You know what these stars remind me of?" he asks, still gazing at the stars.

"Hum?" I hum in return as my brain is preoccupied with its own thoughts.

He once again turns his head towards me and this time I look back at him. He smiles. The expression he has right now contradicts his previous sceptical look. He looks as if...as if he is admiring. Or is it that I am reading it all wrong?

"It reminds me of you."

This simple sentence makes my chaotic mind relax. A question runs through my mind.

Why me?

I look at him with a questioning gaze, waiting for him to explain or elaborate. Why would I, the most cold-hearted, remind him of stars? He reads my expression and continues.

"No matter how dark the clouds are, how stormy the weather gets, stars still find their way to shine. So do you. You went through a lot when you were a kid, found out your way through hills and terrain, won impossible battles," he lets out a sigh and continues, "I know this mission is dangerous and you're scared that you might fail. Just know that like stars, you will find your way out to win through this," he exclaims with a tender tone and soft smile.

I never knew Alex could be so observative. Well, him being so observant is not surprising, but him observing me is definitely surprising.

I let out a small chuckle as I turn my full attention towards him, "When did you turn so poetic?"

"Ten minutes back," he jokes as I let out another chuckle.

"How cool, I wish I would be hearing more poetic lines of yours."

"Your wish is my command," he bows dramatically.

I shake my head with a smile. Boys are so dramatic. He gets back up and smiles with his arms crossed.

"You gotta smile a lot. It looks better on you," he says. Slowly, it vanishes. I thought if you act cold, you get respected but Alex tends to have a different theory about life. He is so grateful for everything but I am so thankless. Well, he didn't go through what I went through. I was like him once upon a time and I don't think I could ever be like that again.

"And yes, I packed your bags and double-checked it," he says, to change the topic. "You can check again if you-"

"It's fine," I say walking back to my room and grabbing the duffle bag placed on the bed.