3. HEY THERE, BEAUTIFUL.

Agent Eighteen's POV:

"How many times have I told you not to barge in like that? Where are your manners?" he says in a low voice but it still sounds threatening.

I walk in casually as if I am strolling in the park but on the inside, I am freaking out. I am scared, yes. Would I want him to know that I am scared, no.

His office is clean with folders stacked on the shelf. He sat behind his table, in all power and glory.

I take a seat on the chair, cross my leg over the other and keep my face stern. If he thinks he has power, he very well know that it doesn't extend to me. "I couldn't care less," I say as I examine my nails as if it's the most interesting thing in the world. He closes the folder and places it aside before pinching his nose to control his frustration and to keep his nerves under check.

"This is the folder for the mission and-"

"I said you my final decision last week," I cut him off.

"-you will be leaving with your team by sunrise," he continues as if I never interrupted him. I glare.

"I said not yet. We don't know where the coordinates are," I reply sternly. I prefer to plan perfectly before executing them. Making decisions rashly has already cost me enough. And this mission is something I don't want to lose. But he never understands.

"Forget about the coordinates for now and gear up your team."

"I want to go solo."

"Not happening."

I clench my teeth in anger. Of anyone in the world who can get on my nerves, it's him. Apart from my brother, that is.

"I am not ready yet. I am not sure if I have everything under control."

"You do. You hold the first spot in the whole agency. Why do you keep repeating you're not ready? Or is that you're having a second thought about your goal?"

That hit a spot. I look up and give him a surprised look. I never thought he would ever say that. I have spent my whole life for this mission and he goes around doubting me. How could he?

"You know this mission means everything to me," I hiss slamming my fist on his mahogany table, as my confusion is replaced by my anger. I planned on being in control but my temper spoils everything. He sat calmly with a neutral look, but I see a flash of disappointment in his brown eyes.

"I know and that's why I chose you to complete this mission. If you are still reluctant to leave, I can appoint another team. Gamma team is more than willing—"

"Don't you dare—"

"Then get your team ready. I'll meet you at the heliport."

I open my mouth to oppose him but he beats me. "If you oppose again Agent Eighteen, you and your team will face consequences. So, make sure what you're gonna speak next is wise enough to not get on my bad side."

I look down so he doesn't see how red my eyes are. I clench my fist in anger as I close my eyes and let out a huff. He uses my team as a trump card against me as he knows that I won't retort.

"Is that a yes?"

I nod once.

"Here is the file for the mission," he says and places the file in front of me. "And I expect to meet you and your team within two hours. Am I clear?"

"Crystal," I hiss through my teeth as I get up and leave towards the door. Just as I place my hand on the handle, I hear his reluctant voice.

"Just know, I do what is good for you," I turn around to look at him. After close inspection, I realise he looks tired. Just like me. Working day in and day out but that doesn't change anything for me. I scoff and shake my head.

"You keep telling yourself that."

And slam the door as a loud thud resonates around the corridor. I place my hands on my hips and take a deep breath before looking at the ceiling.

I can't believe it's time. It's finally time I get my revenge. This mission will decide if I will live happily knowing that justice is served or die painfully. And I would do anything to make sure the latter doesn't occur.

I close my eyes as I try to calm myself. That's when I realise, due to anger, I forgot the folder on the chief's desk.

Now I have to go in again. Joy, oh joy. I spin around and clear the required security check before slowly opening the door. But the spectacle in front of me made me pause as my eyes softened. I felt my heart constrict against my lungs.

Chief had his palms intertwined as he placed his chin on top of it with his eyes closed. His eyebrows were furrowed like he is going through a bad dream. For the first time, I truly see what he is.

No more calm and composed one. Just broken who is trying to drown in work so you don't have to face the reality. Though we don't share a lot of similarities, there is one.

We both try to escape. Escape from our thoughts, escape from nightmares, escape because we just want to. And we have our own escape routes. I fight to tire myself whereas he overworks.

I look away from him. Watching him almost fall asleep here made me momentarily forget what I came here for. I turn back to see him stay in the same position with his eyes closed. I clear my throat to get his attention.

He slowly opens his eyes. He looks as calm as the sea and lifts his brow, his actions asking me what I want. I point towards the folder.

"I forgot that," I say as I walk forward and quickly grab hold of the folder. He nods his head.

"I thought you changed your decision," he adds calmly as he reaches for his keyboard, and starts typing as his attention diverts towards the computer.

"No, not really," I say and turn around. Just before I leave, a thought strikes my mind. I contemplate my decision before giving in and reaching for my pocket to grab something and quickly place it slowly on the table, making sure he didn't see. I spin around fast and quickly leave the room.

I close the door behind me. A sigh eluded my lips. Well, looks like I am not heartless.

Cold-hearted, maybe. Heartless, nah.

The picture of him and the tired look is still vivid in my brain. I close my eyes and shake my head. I have a lot to worry about already and I should wake the team up.

Just as I plan on turning towards our dorm, I hear someone walking toward me. With lightning speed, I turn around with my gun in my hand, which was in the holster a few seconds ago. I point the gun at the silhouette as I take the safety off. I tilt my head to the side to get a better view of the person since the lights are dim, I can't make out who it is.

Who is this daredevil who loiters near the chief's office? It won't be Agent Fifty because she is not brave enough to roam in this place and she already had her snacks. So she is out of the equation.

The intruder who kept walking toward me notices the gun and leans on the wall casually as he crosses his arms in front of his chest.

"Who are you?" I ask, threateningly.

Instead of answering, he starts walking toward me again. I clench my hand, my finger hovering over the trigger.

"I am not sure if I should be concerned or offended," he says. When the familiar voice registered in my brain, I lift my finger away from the trigger. He stands in front of me, his chin tilted down to have a good look at my face. "But if you want to hear my name, who am I to stop? I am Alex. Now, may I get your name in return?" he outstretched his hand for a shake. I sigh.

Will chief notice if a member of his agency goes missing?