Chapter Twenty-Nine (Final)

I'm sweating and shaking as I approach the gate, tightly gripping the box in my hand.

"I don't know if I can do this, Sammy," I whisper to my sister as I look up at the beautiful stained-glass windows on the front door.

"You can. I know you can." she smiles, rubbing my shoulder.

She holds me at arms length then adjusts my bow-tie, grinning as she does so.

"If only he could see. He'd take one look at you and just melt. But alas, you must charm him with your words." she beams.

"Since when have I ever been able to charm anyone with my words?" I say rolling my eyes.

"Well you didn't get him to fall in love with you by just sitting there and looking pretty, did you?" she snorts. "Now go up there and ask him to this damn dance. The worst thing that could happen is he says no."

"That would suck." I whine.

"I know." She smiles sadly. "But if that happens, you, Jordan and I can eat pizza and ice-cream and watch shitty romantic comedies and cry all night." 

"Sounds riveting." I say sarcastically.

She just grins at me and ruffles my hair.

"Are you sure you don't want a ride back to campus?" Sam asks, glancing back at Jordan who is sitting in his car, nodding his head to whatever they play on the radio these days.

"This is going to be awkward enough without my sister and her boyfriend present." I chuckle.

"Okay, I'll see you soon. Hopefully, not too soon. Just take a breath, be yourself, and be honest." she tells me.

I nod and take a breath, then unlatch the front gate. I turn back to Sam who's still standing there looking at me expectantly. I shoo her away with my hands and she rolls her eyes but starts walking back towards the car.

By the time I've reached the front door, Jordan has driven off with Sam and I'm left alone.

Here goes nothing.

I knock nervously on the wood of the door and grit my teeth as I wait. Soon enough, I see a shadow through the opaque glass and the door unlocks then opens.

It's Vic's mom. She looks surprised to see me but that's quickly followed with relief and a polite smile.

"H-hi, is Vic here?" I stammer out. I want to kick myself for the stupid question. Of course he's here. Where else would he be?

"Yeah, I'll go get him for you." She says, giving me a once over then smirking.

She leaves the door open and I watch her walk back into the house.

"Vic!" She calls. "Kellin's here! And he looks very handsome if I might add!"

I blush embarrassed and instinctively look down at myself. Handsome was what I was going for. But I guess it doesn't matter when the one person I'm trying to impress can't see me. But that's why I'm wearing the nicest cologne I could find.

Vic's mom walks into another room and I focus on taking slow deep breaths as I hear footsteps approaching the entrance. Soon enough, Vic comes into view. My heart aches. This is the first time I've seen him in over a week and I've missed this simple luxury. He's in a pair of Jurassic Park pyjamas I've never seen him wear before. And he looks simply adorable.

His face is blank but stern as he approaches me. He stops and grabs the door like he's prepared to close it any second.

We stand in silence for a few noticeable seconds before I wrack up the courage to speak.