Chapter Twenty-Seven

My text tone goes off and I almost ignore it, thinking it's another desperate text from Sam. I wish she'd take a hint. She's the last person I want to see. But she's relentless. She's already stood outside my door for half-an-hour today, begging me to open up. I just ignored her.

I love her, but love feels like a rotten thing right now. I don't want to feel it anymore. I don't want to receive it either. I don't deserve something so selfless on account of the fact that I'm so selfish.

I deserve every second of shame and pain and I hope it adequately reflects what I've made Vic feel.

It's not until I get another text that I flip my phone over so I can glance at it. I'm both surprised and disappointed to see its from Brandon; surprised that it wasn't from Sam, disappointed that it wasn't from Vic.

B♡: You up? Come over?

I nearly put my phone down and ignore the text until I read the second one.

B♡: I have a lot of alcohol and no one to share it with.

I've barely left this room since Vic left almost three days ago now. But the promise of alcohol has me eager to crawl out into the real world but only to escape from my mind through intoxication.

I need to fill this emptiness with something. Might as well be booze.

I don't text Brandon back, giving myself leeway incase I want to back out, but I do finally get out of bed and spray some deodorant. I consider changing the clothes that I've been in for days but it seems so trivial in the grand scheme of things.

I grab my keycard and sneak out of the room, not wanting to draw the slightest bit of attention to myself.

I go down to Brandon's dorm and knock softly on the wood. I look at the room number '1717' that is painted and fading. I guess the metal numbering on my door was specifically for Vic to help him find his room.

The thought of Vic makes my head spin. I just want to forget about him for a while.

It's as if Brandon reads my mind because he opens the door grinning with a beer in his hand.

"I didn't think you'd come." he beams, opening the door up then gesturing me inside.

I walk into the room and stand in the middle of it feeling a little uncomfortable. There's a bar fridge that wasn't in there three days ago and it's full with all different kinds of alcohol. If I wasn't so desperate to be drunk myself, I'd be worried about Brandon.

Brandon sits on the floor, leaning against his bed post, grinning at me before he takes a swig of his beer.

"Get a drink, take a seat, talk to me." he beams.

I go over to the fridge and kneel down in front of it, scoping out my options. I find a bottle of the same clear liquid I was drinking at the party.

"What is this stuff?" I ask turning to Brandon.

"Oh, Patron! Mix it with some Sprite." he chirps.

"Isn't this shit expensive?" I chuckle, taking a chilled glass from the fridge and filling it with some Patron then topping it off with the suggested Sprite.

"Well, you know my parents." he sighs almost sadly.

"Right." I nod.

I never actually met Brandon's parents, but only because they were never around. Although, from the way Brandon spoke about them, I'm pretty sure they substitute affection with money.

I position myself on the floor across from Brandon, leaning against the post of Conner's bed.

"Where's Conner tonight?" I ask, commencing small talk.