Chapter XI

Chapter Eleven

When school ends I do something I've never done before, I skip cheer practice. Finn doesn't say a word about it, thank God.

"Aaron your meeting us at the ice cream parlor," I tell him, I don't ask.

He nods, I put on the pink helmet that I had gotten this morning. It seemed so long ago that I got it, Finn starts the bike.

I climb on, and put my arms around Finn. "Hold on!" he shouts over the roar of the bike.

We fly down all the roads that lead to the parlor. Aaron beats up because Finn drives slower when I'm on, which is still way too fast.

"Took you long enough," I slip of the helmet and put it on the back. I don't say anything to Aaron.

"You don't have to answer all my questions, I get that. But try to answer as many as possible. For most of the day," I wince, "I've been thinking about other things, but I do have a few questions."

Finn nods and Aaron agrees, "Deal."

We walk into the shop, the old man smiles at us. "Still no call yet?" he jokes, but it makes me panic. What are Finn and I? Why is everything so complicated?

Aaron orders five Strawberry shakes and two Chocolate. The old man shakes his head, "I'll be surprised if I still have any ice cream by the time you two leave!"

He sit back down, I sit across from Finn and next to Aaron. "Okay, I guess I'll start with my questions now," I fidget in my seat. "So you don't have to be in your wolf form to change somebody?" my voice is timid.

"Not necessarily," Finn starts, "We can change in both forms, I changed my father when I was still 'human'."

Aaron adds more, "But it has to be a bite, our saliva is extremely potent when we're in our wolf form, but way less potent when we're human.

"A lot has to enter your blood stream at one time."

"Okay, next question. Do you age weirdly?" they both raise they're eyebrows. "I mean you age, right?"

"Yea, I'm actually seventeen and he's actually sixteen," Finn assures.

I sigh, "Are there others like you?"

Finn shakes his head no, "Not likely, but it's always a possibility I guess. The more they make, the larger the chance of being caught and put in prison, or worse dead"

"Oh," is my simple answer. "Sherwood is not your real last name, is it?"

Aaron and Finn laugh, "No, it's not, but we can't tell you what it is, sorry," Aaron tells me.

"I know!" before I can ask my next question, the old man calls out.

"Order up!" Finn stands up and I follow.

He smiles, "Lot to take in?"

"Yea, but I'm getting there," he picks up six of the seven drinks.

"I can carry more than one, you know!"

he rolls his eyes. "Maybe next time."

I take a sip of the shake, "Thanks."

Aaron grabs his three shakes from Finn, "Yum!"

"Next question, why do you eat so much?!"

Aaron is halfway done with his first shake.

"Because we burn," take a huge gulp, "calories a lot faster since our body temperatures are higher. Plus, we love food."

"Are you guys' names really Finn and Aaron?" this just pops into my head and out of my mouth.

"Yea, that's real. But there are a ton of kids with those names," Finn finishes his second shake.

Aaron pipes up, "We move roughly ever year!"

My eyes are as wide as saucers, "You what?"

Aaron realizes his mistake, Finn glares at him.

"Well," Finn tries to reason, "if we have to."

I have a look of disbelief resting on my face, "You are," my voice trails off.

I don't care, I tell myself.

"Gwen?" he asks.

"Yea," I take a sip of my Strawberry shake innocently.

He sighs, "Never mind."

We finish our shakes and walk out to the motorcycles. Aaron says his good byes and takes off for the house.

I look to Finn, really needing the answer to a question, "What are we?"

He looks perplexed, "What do you mean?"

I swallow my pride, "Are we together or are we...?" he smiles.

"Well, I was hoping we were the first one, but I've been wondering the same thing all day."

"Well, uh, so you want to be a couple?"

He nods, "Yea, I'd like nothing more," he tucks my frizzy waves behind my ear.

I step forward, "Are you going to leave me in a year and a half?"

"Not if I can help it."

Without my usual thought process, I step forward and lock lips with Finn. He kisses me, and wraps me in his arms.

+++

Read, comment, vote 😉

~Signing Out😘