"We have no maps and can't use our phones," I laugh, "and we're listening to a friggin' cassette tape."

"I feel so old-school right now." Finn shakes his shoulders like he's settling into a new world. "I like it."

"I like it too." I smile at him and I like him so much right now.

I stare out the side window again as the yellow fields rush by. The landscape is big out here; wide and open. The sky is an endless swathe of brilliant blue that's got that rosy tint to it in preparation for the sun to start going down. And, even though I'm dirty and dusty; tired and sore, and we have a three-hour car journey ahead of us, I'm okay.

Finn's thumb taps to Silent Moth on the steering wheel. I reach over and put my hand on top of his. He doesn't look at me, only holds my fingers in his and squeezes them.

I don't move my hand away.

***

When Finn pulls the van into the servo to fill up for petrol, I tug open my backpack and pull Mum's notebook out. The stickers on the cover look like band names – I guess they are because I recognise The Cure and Joy Division. They're all piled up on top of each other. Messy. Not arranged in any way, just collected over time. I run my hand over them; feel the ridges and bumps under my fingers.

Finn's standing at the counter of the service station having a good old chinwag with the attendant.

I hold the notebook with two hands — it's not huge but I sense myself needing to have a good grip on it.

I open the cover.

The first page is blank, save for two lines of tiny text written in fine black biro right at the bottom corner decorated with stars and moons.

"Never let me go, she says. Hold me like this for a hundred, thousand, million days. The Cure."

I run my fingers over the words

I turn the page.

Mum's written the lyrics to Just Like Heaven by The Cure in fancy black lettering. She's drawn shooting stars and swirly lines all around the words; a funny childish, cartoon picture of a cat is next to it. She really must've loved The Cure.

 She really must've loved The Cure