CHAPTER THIRTY-ONE

SAGE

I am now in the hospital for counseling. It's been two weeks since I haven't been here. I already missed one schedule so I've decided to attend this one and not skip one again.

"So you're enjoying your work?" Asked the Psychotherapist.

"Yes, it's not that bad." I answered honestly. I never thought I would stay in that work for a week but I managed to stay.

"How's your co-workers? Hindi ka ba naiinis sa kanila? How do you see them?" Bahagya akong napaisip.

"Uh, some are very annoying. They like gossips. I hate it. Most of the time, they're talking about me." The Psychotherapist smiled.

"Hindi kaya iniisip mo lang yun?" Tanong niya. I rolled my eyes.

"As if. I know they're talking about me. It's very obvious. But of course, they change topics from time to time so it's not always about me." She nodded and write something on her pad.

"How are you dealing with them? Kapag kinakausap ka ba kinakausap mo rin?" She looked at me with expectation.

"Of course." Sagot ko.

"Paano ka sumasagot?" I shrugged my shoulder.

"Straight to the point. I don't want to talk to them much longer so I am trying to answer straightaway. Namimili rin ako ng sasagutin. I don't answer personal questions, but depends on the person asking." I explained.

"Depends on the person?"

"Yeah. I mean if it's Macky, or Winston, I sometimes answer their personal questions if I'm in the mood." The Psychotherapist looked at me with curiosity.

"So is this Macky and Winston, your friends?" Napataas ang kilay ko. Are they?

"I don't really know the meaning of friends..." I said honestly.

"If you always talk to them, laugh with one another, hang out, and if you are comfortable to them, then that can be considered as friendship at work." I slowly nodded.

"What if it's the other way around? I don't talk to them much but they always talk to me. Palagi rin nila akong sinasamahan kahit ayoko. What is that supposed to mean?" She suddenly smiled.

"Then they probably wants to know you more. They want you be their friend." Napataas naman ang kilay ko sa narinig. They want me to be their friend?

"But I don't want them to be my friend." I said.

The Psychotherapist sighed. "Sage, you should try to open yourself to others. It is time to trust them and see the beauty of relationships. You may be different, Sage, because your a little bit special but remember that no one are alike. Each person is unique. Lahat ng tao iba-iba pero sa tingin mo, kung iba-iba tayo bakit mayroon pa ring mga taong nagsasama sa isang pamilya, sa isang grupo ng mga kaibigan, sa trabaho?" I shrugged my shoulder not sure of the answer. She surely has a lot to tell.

"It's because no man is an island. You can't live with just by yourself. You will be needing people and people will be needing you too. Mayroon mang mga aalis sa buhay mo, pero meron ding mga dadating. You surely won't like all of them but if you tried to stay and understand them, then they will also stay and understand you. It's your choice, Sage." I rolled my eyes from that familiar line.

"Yes, it's a choice. And I am choosing not be friends with them."

She sighed and looked at me seriously. "Sage, didn't you already experience how it feels like to be rejected?" Nawala ang ngiti ko. "Of all people, you should know how it feels rejecting you and not giving you a chance, so try to put your shoes to the people who wants to be friends with you. Life is all about give and take."