[3]

𝐘𝐨𝐮 𝐜𝐨𝐮𝐥𝐝 𝐛𝐫𝐞𝐚𝐤 𝐦𝐲 𝐡𝐞𝐚𝐫𝐭 𝐢𝐧 𝐭𝐰𝐨
𝐁𝐮𝐭 𝐰𝐡𝐞𝐧 𝐢𝐭 𝐡𝐞𝐚𝐥𝐬, 𝐢𝐭 𝐛𝐞𝐚𝐭𝐬 𝐟𝐨𝐫 𝐲𝐨𝐮
𝐈 𝐤𝐧𝐨𝐰 𝐢𝐭'𝐬 𝐟𝐨𝐫𝐰𝐚𝐫𝐝 𝐛𝐮𝐭 𝐢𝐭'𝐬 𝐭𝐫𝐮𝐞

JAEMIN

I grabbed my phone and walked out of my flat. The hall was really quiet- of course, it was around 6 PM, December 31st. Most people were out with their friends to celebrate New Year's Eve.

After closing and locking my door, I walked exact 2 meters and stopped in front of my neighbour's door. The Park siblings lived here: a girl at my age and a boy one and a half year younger. They moved here around three months ago, alone without parents or any relatives or friends. So, basically they were on their own, knowing no one in the area.

Since I'm the only person around their age on our floor (and also their neighbour), we started hanging out. At weekends, on afternoons. You could say we got close, especially me and the boy, who's called Jisung. He's still in high school, although he's going to graduate in February.

I knocked on the door. No response. I decided to wait and if there was still nothing, then I would knock again.

I moved my gaze from the door and looked over to the right side. Next to the door's frame, I saw a white nametag. Park Jiwon it said. Since she's the adult one out of the two siblings, the flat is under her name. I noticed the doorbell under the nametag.

Oh.

Maybe I should've just rang it. I shrugged but pressed my index finger on the cold button anyways.

Two minutes passed, but Jisung was  nowhere to be found. Maybe he's sleeping?
I rang the doorbell again. And again.

'Can't you wait a goddamn minute?' I heard Jisung's muffled yell.
I decided to annoy him and started pressing the doorbell repeatedly.

'For frick's sake-' Jisung yelled again and opened the door. He was barefoot, wearing black sweatpants and a green t-shirt, a white towel thrown over his damp, black hair.

'Your shirt is inside out.' I grinned instead of greeting him.

'I was in the shower but you just couldn’t wait and had to murder my poor ears with that damn doorbell-' He punched my shoulder lightly.
'I couldn’t even dress up properly.'

'You could've just come out in a towel, I wouldn't mind.' I winked.

'But I would.'

'Okay, okay.' I hushed the boy and stepped inside the flat.
'I have no idea what I'll do with you for 5 hours in your flat at New Year's Eve.'

Jisung walked to the couch and threw himself on it and I followed him. He quickly took off his shirt and put it back again, in the right way this time.

'Well, I didn't ask you to babysit me.' The younger raised an eyebrow and grabbed a bag of chips which was laying on the table in front of the couch.

I sat next to Jisung and snatched the chips from his hands. I opened it with a quick move and grabbed some of the chips, putting them into my mouth. 'Actually, I don't have anywhere else to go. Everyone's at a party: my collagues, the lovebirds-'