[7]

𝐓𝐡𝐞 𝐜𝐢𝐭𝐲'𝐬 𝐜𝐨𝐥𝐝 𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝐞𝐦𝐩𝐭𝐲
𝐍𝐨 𝐨𝐧𝐞'𝐬 𝐚𝐫𝐨𝐮𝐧𝐝 𝐭𝐨 𝐣𝐮𝐝𝐠𝐞 𝐦𝐞
𝐈 𝐜𝐚𝐧'𝐭 𝐬𝐞𝐞 𝐜𝐥𝐞𝐚𝐫𝐥𝐲 𝐰𝐡𝐞𝐧 𝐲𝐨𝐮'𝐫𝐞 𝐠𝐨𝐧𝐞

JAEMIN

I stepped out of my apartment complex and inhaled the fresh, cold air.

I started walking but stopped and looked back at the building I live in. It was all very dark except the lights coming from three windows.
I frowned when I saw that one of them was on the second floor, next to the window of my own flat.

I shook my head and pulled out my phone from my sweatpants' pocket.

Jaem hyung
Sleep

In less than a minute, I got a response.

Jisungie🧡
tf why are you awake and how do you know i am too?

Jaem hyung
Doesn't matter rn
You should go to sleep

Jisungie🧡
but i have to study

Jaem hyung
Then just study tmw

Jisungie🧡
ok
but you sleep too

Jaem hyung
I'm not sleepy yet
Good night<3

Jisungie🧡
you too

I looked up to see the light suddenly disappearing from the boy's room.
I put my phone away with a smile. This kid..

Since the weather was a bit warmer than usually in winter (but still very cold), I decided to go to the bridge on the other side of the park. It was a bit far, but I didn't mind. I like long walks, they're perfect for clearing my mind.

I walked down the street, staring at the dark houses and lonely light poles.

The city is a whole different world at night. It's more.. Mysterious, you could say, because of the darkness and the silence.

The people are also different. Mainly because there's no one on the streets at unholy hours like this. Well, except a few drunk men and partygoers.

There's no crowd, nobody's in a hurry. You don't bump into relatives and friends.
You don't have to say 'long time no see' with a fake smile, acting like you're happy meeting them again while deep down you would be fine with not seeing them for another long time.

You don't have to pretend.

That's one of the main reasons why I like going on late night (or rather early morning) walks; it's just me, myself and I. No one's judging, no one's nagging me.

As I neared the convienience store two blocks away, I saw that I wasn't alone at the empty streets; someone was standing in front of the shop, smoking.

I smiled and waved to him, hoping he would see me.

He indeed saw me, but instead of returning my smile, he shook his head disapprovingly.