The Truth Hurts

Synopsis: (Y/N) gets injured in battle. Italics are past events.

The mission should have been easy. Your team should have had the upper hand: better weapons, skills, and strategies. Heck, you were the Avengers. 

You weren't prepared for this. 

HYDRA had tricked you and the team into walking into their base, where they trapped you. HYDRA had better weapons than you had prepared for. 

It had all happened in slow motion. 

A sniper, hidden away from the team's view, aimed his gun at Steve Rogers. There was no way you were letting Steve die today. He had just gotten his best friend back and gotten back into the swing of the 21st century. 

You, you were a nobody. 

You had been a thief and a hacker ever since you were young. You ran away from a perfect family who loved you. But alas, you left them, craving to be something more than just a picture perfect child. And no matter how much searching you did five years after that, you couldn't find them. 

SHIELD hired you to hack into HYDRA's systems when they needed you to. They said you could change the world. But you knew the truth -- they needed to keep an eye on you, make sure you didn't steal from them or hack them. 

You longed to be trusted, but you had a hard time trusting. That made the whole 'trust' thing hard. So instead of striking up conversation and making friends, you observed. They were all good people, and as much as they didn't know you, you would die for them. They were heroes. 

You were just a thief and a hacker.

You noticed the sniper tense his finger. You saw this as your cue to run towards Steve with as much force as you could muster. You were a tiny person, and it would take everything to make Captain America move. 

"STEVE!" you cried, shoving him out of the way. The bullet was released as soon as you thought it would. Your suit fluttered as the bullet pierced it's way into your flesh on the right side of your stomach, right below the rib. 

You couldn't feel anything quite yet; your nerves were overloaded with information. You fired at the sniper, knocking him off of the high ground. 

The firing stopped. Either the HYDRA agents were dead, the rest of the Avengers were dead, or the HYDRA agents got pushed back. 

You collapsed to your knees, grabbing your side, hoping to stop the blood from flowing out like a waterfall. Still, you were able to squeeze the blood out of your shirt. 

Your hands shook as you sat on the ground, trying to take deep breaths. 

No one was there. Not one agent, not one Avenger.

What did you expect? Your skills were only necessary when the Avengers wanted them used, and you had just been used for the last time. 

"We need you to hack some sort of HYDRA program. The program keeps overriding itself," Natasha told you. You shut your computer where you had been replying to the nonstop emails.

You sighed and got up from your seat. You entered the lab, where all the Avengers huddled around the flash drive and computer.

"(Y/N), we need you to--" Tony started.

"Yeah, I heard," you interrupted. No greetings, now 'how are you?'. No nothing. It had been like this for months.

They made room for you to sit in the chair as they observed the random keys you were clicking and the random codes you were typing. You pressed 'enter' and held your breath, hoping this would work. Maybe this would be the time where you finally impressed the Avengers with your skills.