Chapter 3

Dear Stranger,

During school, I would always find myself daydreaming of Roo. Especailly during hmoecoming week. Every day I'd ask him the same questions:

"Hey, are you going with anyone?"

"Have anyone you want to ask?"

Every day he would shake his head.

"Nah, I'm not interested in anyone."

Every day there was the same disappointment.

After volleyball on wednesday, Jasmine came over, eager to go find homecoming dresses, and she was very upset with me after I told her that I wasn't going to go.

"Oh my god, Ave, why aren't you going?!"

"Idunno, Jazz."

At that moment, Roo and Ben walked in, and my stomach was immediately filled with butterflies, and Jazz kept pestering me.

"That's so stupid! You need to go!"

Roo joined the conversation, "What's so stupid?" 

"Ave won't go to homecoming."

"Awh, why not?"

I shrugged, "I don't know, I just.. I won't have fun."

Jazz walked away and so did ben, so Roo took Jazz's seat.

"You will have fun."

"Probably not."

"Probably." 

"Well, I want to go and stuff, but I'll have nobody to dance with."

"Oh shut up, you know I'll dance with you. Go. Please?"

I ignored Roo until he started going "pleasepleasepleasepleaseplease," so I gave in.

"Fine! I'll go! Geez!"

And then Roo kissed my cheek. I swear, his lips practically burnt a hole in my skin. I placed my hand over where he kissed me, and Jazz walked back in, stopping when she saw my face.

"Woah, Avery. Do you feel alright? You look like you've seen a ghost."

"I'm fine, Jazz."

"If you say so."

For the rest of homecoming week, there was constant buzz about the football game and the dance. Charlie knew how much I liked Roo; my true feelings. I closed my locker door and screamed, surprised by Charlie standing right behind it.

"Charlie! Don't do that!"

He chuckled and leaned against my locker, his eyes gleaming with mischif, "I didn't mean to scare you there. Has Travis asked you to homecoming yet?"

"Psh, no. Funny joke that he would."

"Hey, you never know, he may like you or something."

I rolled my eyes at him, "But he doesn't, right?"

Charlie didn't respond, he just looked in the other direction, so I hit him lightly, "Right?"

He put his hands up in defense, "Hey! I don't know!"

I gave him an "I-know-you-know" look and he caved in, "Fine, he does, but Ben is a little pissed off over it. He doesn't want Travis dating his precious little sister." Charlie pinched my cheek like a grandmother would and I quickly brushed it off.

"Blah, stop. But does he really?"

Charlie nodded surely, "Yeah, he really wants to ask you, he just doesn't have the balls to do it."