Chapter 17

We arrived in Blackwater after a full day of riding. Darkness was beginning to fall, perfect for our plan. We just needed to slip in, then get out again.

Dutch told us he'd hidden it in his mother's grave. We rode to the cemetery under darkness, nobody was out on the streets at all. It was going to prove to be an easy take, Trelawny would keep guard and I would loot the grave.

GRETA VAN DER LINDE

The name stood out against the gravestone. I smiled, I'd found it!

I grabbed the shovel and started to dig, keeping one ear out for Trelawny speaking. Nothing came, so I kept at my business, eventually coming across a bag. I grabbed it, opening it with trepidation.

Dollars. Dollars and dollars and dollars. The Blackwater money, our ticket out of America.

"Hands up, don't move," a voice came from behind me and I froze.

I subtly shoved the money on the ground behind me, covering it with my body as I turned, my hands up.

"What are you doing here?" The man demanded, holding a gun at my face.

"I... I was visiting my grandmother's grave," I said, my voice shaking with whatever fake fear I could muster, "I'm sorry, sir, I just arrived in Blackwater and I couldn't wait!"

"Visiting the grave, yes? So, what's the shovel for?" he snarled and I cursed myself.

"I-" I was cut off when the man fell to the ground with a thump, Trelawny stood behind him holding his walking stick.

"Got it?" he asked, an eyebrow raised.

"So much for keeping watch," I grumbled, picking the bag up, "Got it. Let's get out of here."

We got back with no further trouble, surprising me slightly. Normally at least one gang accosted you on the road, but luck was with us that night and we arrived back at camp just after dawn.

"Evie, you're back!" Dutch stood up, marching towards Trelawny and I, "Was there any trouble? Are you alright?"

"More than alright," I grinned, dismounting Scout and reaching for the bag, "Is this what you wanted?"

"You got it," his jaw dropped as the others came to see what the commotion was.

"Did you get the answers you needed, mi cielito?" Javier asked, stepping forward.

"She got us our ticket out of here," Dutch breathed, grabbing the bag and checking it, his eyes wide.

"I thought she was finding out how she got here?" Arthur asked.

"I think Dutch might have lied to us," Hosea gave me a stern look, "Where did you go?"

"Er..." I scratched my head awkwardly, "I went to Blackwater. To get your money."

There was a deathly silence in camp as everyone took in what I said, glancing at Dutch and the money, then back at me.

"You sent her there?" Javier's voice was dangerously quiet.

"She suggested it, I tried to stop her," Dutch let the bag fall to his side, "She wouldn't take no for an answer. Trelawny was with her, nobody knows her!"

"She just escaped from the Pinkertons and you were going to let her walk right back into their hands!" Javier's voice was rising.

"It doesn't matter, Javier, calm down! He didn't want me to go but I insisted," I said, "I got out fine, we got our money."