Chapter 16

"I found her, drunk in Saint Denis," Uncle was behind her and I immediately had a bad feeling. I was going to have to intervene, I had forgotten to tell Dutch not to throw her to the side! Once again, distracted by my own stupid problems.

"You're back, how jolly, Miss O'Shea," Dutch commented as we all turned around.

"It's Molly, you sack of shit," she yelled, her words slurring.

"Back and drunk," Dutch's voice was dangerous and I gave Arthur a worried glance, "Molly, calm down."

"Who made you the master, the Lord God Almighty?" she threw her hands up in the air as everyone gathered around, Javier supporting me as we stood, "I won't be ignored, Dutch van der Linde. I aren't him, I ain't her, or any of your stooges!"

She was swaying dangerously at this point and I fought the urge to intervene. I had to think, fast.

"Calm yourself, miss," I saw Dutch was struggling to keep his voice level.

"You don't owe me nothing," she continued, "I don't owe you nothing. Nothing!"

"Okay," Dutch held his hands up, furious she was making such a scene, especially after everyone was so happy.

"I'll spit in your eye," she pointed at him, "I did... I told them!"

"I'm sorry?" Dutch asked and I felt my stomach drop. What could I do now?

"Yeah, I told 'em, and I'll tell 'em again," this wasn't going to go well, "Now I've got God's ear."

"You told who what?" Dutch's voice cracked with anger and I involuntarily stepped back, Javier mirroring my worried expression.

"Mr Milton and Mr Ross..." Molly continued, "About the bank robbery. And I wanted them to kill you."

"You did what?" Dutch drew his gun, his rage reaching boiling point.

I had to step in! I had to do something!

"I loved you, you goddamn bastard!" she yelled, "Go on! Shoot me!"

"She ain't worth it," Arthur stepped forward, pushing Dutch's arm down.

"You told on me, you betrayed me?" Dutch was ignoring him, I felt sick.

"Oh, you're not so big now, are we, your majesty?" Think. Think!

"Quiet!" Arthur yelled, "Just calm down. She's a fool. Get her outta here!"

"Wait!" I pushed myself in-between Dutch and Molly, grabbing the raised gun from Miss Grimshaw as I passed, gritting my teeth to fight the pain.

"Miss Bennett, you are going to hurt yourself," Dutch was struggling to keep his voice level.

"Dutch, listen to me," I said, my voice rising with panic, "She didn't betray you, it was Micah. She's drunk, she's hurting. Let her sober up then ask her again, but don't act rashly, please!"

"She knows the rules!" Dutch said, his face dark as Hosea held him back.

"She is drunk, riled up. She wants to hurt you but she didn't think it through! Miss O'Shea knew the rules as well as any of us like you say, why would she come here and admit to betraying us, knowing full well she'd be killed? Why would she ever do it, knowing you wouldn't let her away with it whether or not she returned!" I yelled, Javier moving forward to support me before I collapsed.

"Listen to what she says," Hosea said quietly, "She's seen it before, remember that."

There was a thump as Molly O'Shea collapsed to the ground, unconscious. I glanced down, relieved there wasn't a shotgun hole in her stomach, before the shotgun I had been holding was removed.