Chapter 13

I followed Dutch into the house and up the stairs, out to the balcony attached to his room. He was silent for a few moments, and I fidgeted nervously.

"What you did was foolish, you could have been killed," he finally spoke, "You know what things are like for girls around here. Its dangerous."

"I see that now, but... well, it seemed like the right thing to do, for the gang," I sighed, leaning against the wall.

"I appreciate you putting the gang first, but sometimes you need to look after yourself," Dutch put a hand on my shoulder, "Leave worrying about arguments within the gang to me. If you have any concerns, you come to me first."

"I promise," I smiled at him as he turned back to look out into the swamp.

"I'm glad you're safe now. Arthur and Javier were looking for you the whole time, I would have been too if I didn't have to stay here," he sighed slightly, "I was worried we'd never see you again."

"I saw Arthur looking for me, but I avoided him," I nodded, "I didn't see Javier until yesterday, he came just in time."

"He almost didn't go looking yesterday, he hadn't slept much for worrying about you so we wanted him to stay for just one day," Dutch said slowly, "One day won't make a difference, we told him, but he was adamant. Thank goodness for that boy's tenacity."

I didn't reply, a strange feeling growing in my chest at Dutch's words. Had Javier truly been so worried?

"What happened to your arm?" he broke the silence, his eyes staring at the filthy bandage on my right arm, contrasting to the still clean ones Hosea had put on me.

"Oh yeah, I should change it," I gave a small laugh, "It was a bear."

He stared at me silently for a moment, blinking, before shaking his head at me in exasperation.

"A bear attacked you?" he cried.

"Yeah, it wasn't too bad honestly, this is my only injury other than some bruising," I shrugged.

"Let Hosea look at it," he rubbed his face, a defeated look on his face as he stared at me, "No offence, but I really don't trust your homemade first aid attempts."

But my reply was cut short as Dutch moved against the balcony, a frown on his face as he looked out towards the entrance to Shady Belle. I followed his eyes, my stomach dropping at the sight.

"What is that?"

I felt a sick feeling grow in the pit of my stomach. It was Kieran, riding in on his horse. Only, his head wasn't on his shoulders. He was holding it in his lap, a permanent scream etched on his features, his eyes gouged out. How could I have forgotten to say, how could I have let my own problems result in this!

I heard someone scream.

"What the hell have they done to him?" Arthur said angrily from below us.

"Look, there, in the tree line," Dutch pointed, "Everybody take cover! O'Driscolls are coming!"

We took cover behind the balcony, drawing our weapons. The O'Driscolls came at us at once, from all angles. The women, Jack, and non-fighters made it into the house unscathed as we tried to hold them off. Dutch essentially forced me inside with them, despite my gun being at the ready.

"Get in there," he yelled at me, "Arthur, over here!" 

"What's happening?" Miss O'Shea came in through the back door.

"O'Driscolls," I said, "Get in here, stay away from the windows!"

Arthur ran inside and we held the front door with Charles and John. I felt anger coursing through me, at myself and the O'Driscolls. How could I have forgotten about Kieran!