"Sure my lady"

With that they took the boy to the cold room down in the basement. Two men kicked the boy down the stairs chuckling loudly.

They punched him in the face until his bruises resurfaced with more blood pooling out than ever before, kicked him in the gut until he screamed in agony, begging them to stop.

"Mom please help me, Mom!"

"Marcus wake up! Marcus!"

____

"My mom almost drowned in a pool when she was little. Since then she has feared them" I told Marcus, explaining the reason for the absence of a pool in this massive house. 

I kept my hand on his, reassuring him and he looked at me with a slight fright evident in his eyes.

"I'm sorry you had to come. Let's leave before night" I spoke with worry.

"We don't need to. I'm fine. Don't worry" He held my hand and gently squeezed it.

"Camilla we had your room cleaned. You may go and rest for a while since the sun is also setting. Dinner will be ready at 8" My father spoke after noticing the tensed air around us.

We walked upstairs and went into my room. I closed the door and made sure it was also locked. Marcus sat down on the bed, his fingers tapping his right knee. 

As I turned around he stood up. "I'll go and take a shower" He wiped the sweat in his forehead and took his clothes before walking into the bathroom.

Resting my face on my palms, I cursed myself for being this foolish.

I looked around and noticed that my room hadn't changed a bit since I had left. My plain white walls matching my white sheets and white couch and the dark carpet covering the floor. Small plants sat by the window, adding a touch of greenery to the room. A black swing chair hung by the window on the wide balcony, which had a long railing embedded with vines sprouting purple flowers, revealing a captivating sight.

After a while the bathroom door opened and Marcus came out wearing dark shorts and a white t-shirt. He looked more relaxed as his eyes scanned my room properly for the first time.

"Your room is beautiful"

"Thank you" I looked at him with a hint of sadness.

He noticed and gave me a reassuring smile, telling me everything would be alright. After relaxing for few minutes we both went back downstairs.

As I was taking the steps down a rich aroma of food invaded my nostrils. I looked down over the railing and gasped in shock.

"Mom you only have two guests not twenty" I yelled in horror.

"Oh c'mon my boy needs to be healthy" my mom called out as she arranged the table.

"I'm healthy" Jake replied, looking at himself confused.

" Who's talking about you? I'm talking about Marcus " Mom rolled her eyes in annoyance.

I turned my head as I heard a small chuckle beside me. My lips curved into a small smile seeing Marcus relaxed. His hair was messy and it made me want to run my hands through it to see how it would feel.

He caught me staring and raised his eyebrows. I shook my head and gestured at him to take a seat at the table.

We took ours seats and I ate in silence while my parents talked with Marcus about business and what hilarious things I did when I was a child. It was so embarrassing but fighting for something over my mom was just as good as calling death. So I gave up.

Jake was sitting in front of me, his eyes slowly closing in boredom. I kicked his leg under the table to wake him up. He suddenly stood up with a start, looking shocked.

"What what what?" He looked around alarmed.

Everyone laughed and he narrowed his eyes at me.

"Jake don't cause a scene. Sit down " Mom ordered angrily since Jake was ruining her perfect dinner.

"When will you ever grow up? You need a woman. Prepare yourself for a marriage"

My brother's mouth opened wide, shocked after hearing mom's threat. I nodded my head in agreement, earning a glare from Jake.

After dinner, we both went to my room. I changed into shorts and a t-shirt getting ready to sleep. Marcus was already on the bed. So I took one of the pillows and a sheet from the cupboard and walked towards the couch.

"What are you doing?" I turned as he asked me.

"Going to sleep" I said in an obvious tone.

"On the couch?" Marcus raised his eyebrows in confusion.

" Yes we can't sleep on the same bed"

An unreadable emotion crossed his face for a mere second before he regained his composure.

"I'll take the couch" He started, getting out of the bed.

"No no. You're our guest. Please take the bed "

Before he could say any further I quickly jumped on to the couch and wrapped the sheets around myself.

I closed my eyes pretending to sleep so Marcus wouldn't be able to talk me into giving him the couch.

I heard him let out a long sigh before he went to sleep.

Sleep dragged me under, even though the couch was uncomfortable. I tossed and turned uncomfortably several times before finally falling asleep.

...

"Mom no please mom"

I slowly opened my eyes as a small whimper woke me up.

"Mom"

I turned my head to the bed and saw  Marcus whining in pain.

He held on to the sheets around him so tightly that his knuckles were turning white. He was shaking his head back and forth, mop of hair stuck to his forehead with sweat. His breathing was uneven as he whimpered loudly, crying out for help.

My heart shattered in pain seeing how hurt he looked. I pulled my sheets away and walked over to the bed. "Marcus" I slightly shook him, trying to wake him up.

"Mom please help me. Mom" He cried out more loudly.

"Marcus wake up. Marcus!" I shook him rapidly, frightened.

He woke up with a jolt, breathing heavily to steady himself. His scanned the room until his eyes met mine.

I slowly moved the hair covering his eyes and ran my thumb along his face, soothing him.

His tear filled eyes stared at me for a while, making my heart clench in pain.
Worry took over every part of me to see how vulnerable he looked.

"Are you okay? Do you need something?"

His face suddenly relaxed and his lips curled into a small sad smile.

"Come here" He patted the bed beside him.

I slowly got onto the bed and lowered my head onto his pillow, turning my back to him. I edged away a little, only for him to wrap his arm around me, pulling me closer against his body.

He buried his face in the crook of my neck, nuzzling his nose into my hair. I felt his heart beat gradually becoming steady.

I kept my hand on the arm he had wrapped around my waist. I looked down as I felt something on his wrist.

It was the moon bracelet that we had bought in Germany. A small smile crept onto my lips as I recognized it. I slowly turned my head to look at Marcus. He was staring at me with a glint of happiness in his eyes.

I gave him a small smile before snuggling closer to him, making myself comfortable in his warm, strong arms. I felt a sense of protection and security in his arms that I had never felt before. This thought made my heart flutter slightly.

We slept peacefully through the night, reveling in the blissful warmth that enveloped us as we held on tight to each other.