chapter 4

"Mom no.. no"

I heard someone whimpering. I thought it was outside but it felt so near. The voice so familiar but yet it was distant.

I opened my eyes to see Marcus on his bed. Sweating, his fingers tightening around the sheets as he was having a nightmare.

I didn't know what to do but I stood up and walked over to him.

"Marcus ! Marcus! " I shook his arm trying to wake him up.

"Marcus ! It's just a dream"

He suddenly opened his eyes and looked at me.

" Get out" he yelled in anger.

What? Did he just tell me to get out for saving him?

" What's wrong with you dork? I saved your ass and this is how you treat me. " I was more than annoyed. I quickly turned and strode to the bathroom to calm myself.

When I came out he was dressed in a t-shirt and pants, getting ready to leave.

"Where are you going?" I asked with a scowl.

But he ignored me and left. I looked at my phone to see the time and it was 2.30. Where the hell was he going?

I waited a while for him to come back but he didn't. So I went to the balcony for fresh air. As I was looking down I saw a man seated on a bench at the beach. I squinted my eyes to see who it was.

I would've recognised that body anywhere. It was Marcus, sitting on the bench, staring at the ocean with a pained look.

I quickly took a chair to the balcony and sat, observing Marcus. He bent his head back and closed his eyes, feeling the breeze of salty water.

I suddenly felt the urge to run down and hug him. He looked so fragile at the moment. He was always composed, never letting out his emotions. Seeing him this vulnerable made me want to run to him, to ask what was bothering him.

But he would hate me for it. I quickly shook my head, annoyed at myself for thinking of such things.

I saw a notification on my phone. It was Ally. My only friend. She was traveling in Sri Lanka currently. She worked in a welfare project in India for few months so I couldn't see her for a while and it made me sad.

Before the wedding I told her about my arranged marriage and she had been very supportive to me. She was my happy pill and now I desperately needed it. So I called her and she answered quickly.

"Hey girllll how's hubby?"

"Shut up" I laughed, my mood already lightened after hearing her voice.

"What? He's handsome" She said so innocently.

"Change the topic"

"No"

"Then I'm cutting the call"

"You care about him. Don't you?

"Ally"" I said in a more warning tone and she giggled.

I talked with her for a while and went back to sleep. About an hour later I heard the sound of a door opening and closing. I slightly opened my eyes and saw Marcus getting under his sheets looking exhausted.

Is he always like this? Shutting everyone out?

Marcus leaned back on the headboard and pulled out his laptop from a bag. He started working without even getting any sleep. Not wanting to get caught I closed my eyes and went back to sleep.