9 - A Chance Lost (And A Chance Gained)

Start from the beginning

      Groggily raising the phone to her ear, Misaki waited as it continued ringing. But after four rings, Oikawa picked up.

      "Misa-chan," He sounded sleepy, but she was sure he hadn't gone to sleep yet, forcing himself to stay awake and then overthink. "I didn't think you'd be the one to call me so late.

      Misaki yawned as she spoke into the phone. "I only called to see if you had gone to sleep, which I know you haven't."

      "That's not true!" Oikawa protested quietly. It was night and there was no need for him to speak loudly. "I was going to sleep when you called."

      "Going to-? That means you were awake. You stupid...we have a very very important match tomorrow. Why haven't you slept yet? Actually, scratch that. I know why you haven't slept yet. Were you watching the video of Shiratorizawa's match for the hundredth time?"

      His silence was enough of an answer. Misaki sighed as she raised her arm to pinch the bridge of her nose. "The coach said to rest, right? And we already watched the highlights with the team. You do this every year, Oikawa. You worry me, you know?"

      "You don't have to worry about me, Misa-chan," Oikawa said, a smile clear in his voice. Somehow, he had a way of speaking that let you know if he was smiling or not, though Misaki felt that was reserved for just his close friends. "I only saw the match three times since I came home."

      "Just three? That's surprising."

      "Well, I always surprise you so..."

      "That you do; that you do."

      The conversation faded and for a moment, the only sounds either could hear, were the sounds of the other's breathing. Just a moment after, Oikawa spoke first. "Misa-chan...do you still believe we can defeat..."

      He trailed off, not saying the name they both knew very well. Misaki almost winced. (This question reminded her of the first time she had seen him cry; he'd asked a similar thing. 'Do you still believe in me?')

      (She always will believe in him. No matter what.)

      "I believe in you," Misaki finally said. "I believe in you and the team, and I know you all are going to do incredible in the match. Trust me, I know you guys are currently at your best. If you weren't, then I would be forcing you to practice more, but none of you need it. Don't think about the match right now; just relax and go to sleep."

      "Right," Oikawa answered. After a short pause, he added, "Thanks for being here, Misa-chan."

      Her face grew warm at his words. Weird. "You don't have to thank me. As your best friend and team manager, I have to be there to make sure you don't do something stupid."

      "I never do anything stupid!" He protested with a slight laugh.

      "I beg to differ, Shittykawa," Misaki said, grinning herself. This was good. This was a distraction, to temporarily stop him from thinking about tomorrow. "I have a whole list of situations. Like the time you walked into a door and almost broke your nose, remember?"

      "That's...I was not..." Oikawa immediately sounds embarrassed. Misaki laughed softly. "How was I supposed to know that the bakery had a transparent glass door?"

      "Don't deny it," Misaki said with a teasing tone. "You and your milk bread obsession. Anyways, that's not important. Good night. And don't even think about staying awake because I will beat you up."

     "As you say, Misa-chan. Good night."

     "Yeah. Good night, Oikawa."