Chapter 13 - Doroza

Vaelia was not always a gifted prodigy of a sorceress.

She had spent almost her entire childhood being a carefree little girl, running every day along the grassy fields near the southern cliffs and the great waterfall that served as the southern border of the lands of the kingdom of Levyria. The last time she had been carefree was five years ago.

Vaelia was the daughter of a modest sorcerer who made his own living doing research, much like the sorcerer named Elarius that Maraxus and Cora have known for a long time, but only light in responsibilities. Her father was also tasked with hunting down minor monsters hither and thither, such as Stalkers, dangerous runners like the Acanthudrome and the Terradrome, and many other monsters that required studying without the responsibility of capturing monsters being too great.

After all, unlike his own daughter, Vaelia's father was not an adept at sorcery. He could manipulate energy into minor offensive spells such as fireballs and enhanced punches, but he could never perform the spells that required skill, finesse, and in some cases, talent.

Thus, for him, making a living was always quite modest. He didn't get to take on the jobs that paid a lot, and the fact that her mother was simply a farmer and a merchant did not help a lot with their earnings either.

Basically, they were earning to survive, in a lonely farmhouse far from the three main cities of Levyria, close to the southern border, where all seemed free, tranquil, peaceful, and quiet.

It was a life of serenity at the countryside for the Martel family, and, although modest, it was still indeed a happy life, especially for the carefree Vaelia who'd always run around, exploring the countryside, after helping her mother with farming duties and household chores and what not.

"Mother!" Vaelia called as she left her house, "I'll be at the cliffs if you need me!"

"Okay, sweetheart!" her mother answered back from inside, still sweeping the floors of their home, "Enjoy your afternoon! Be back in time for dinner!"

"Got it!" assured Vaelia, as she ran down from the house towards the southern cliffs, specifically the great waterfall that bounded the kingdom of Levyria from its southern neighboring kingdom, Dazolece.

Not as prosperous and fortunate as Levyria, the kingdom Dazolece was always in constant famine, with civil wars disrupting its affairs constantly, and a government that could not establish a meaningful, steely presence.

Others would say that Dazolece was on the brink of falling into complete anarchy, chaos, destruction, and eventually, implosion. It did not help that the small, weak, and penurious kingdom of Dazolece was always constantly turned into a warzone for the three neighboring kingdoms that had surrounded it. To its north was the great kingdom of Levyria, a kingdom that had always seen success. To its southeast was the kingdom of Essor, a modest kingdom that had never really won a war, but many would also say that they had never really lost a war either. After all, people would have said that the kingdom of Essor was always shut off from foreign affairs and trade, and thus, they would have little reason to wage war upon the other kingdoms. Finally, to its southwest was the kingdom of Aeyne, another great kingdom that also rivaled Levyria in terms of wealth, military power, as well as a stable economy.

It was always because of the warring kingdoms of Aeyne and Levyria that Dazolece would constantly suffer, and it did not help when Essor would suddenly join in the war to take advantage of whatever opportunity they may find in the constant disputes between the two great kingdoms.

Not only was Dazolece a constant warzone, but resources had always been a problem for that kingdom, and they could do little to none to help their economic situation, and were always rebuffed in proposals of trade by the three bigger kingdoms that had surrounded them ever since the beginning of societies.