Peril on the High Seas, Part 1/4

Start from the beginning

     Maximus nickers at him and stomps his hoof.

     "Yes Max, I'm sure my modifications will be... up to code," Varian says.

     Finally aboard the ship, Rapunzel, Varian, and Pascal stand with the captain

     Finally aboard the ship, Rapunzel, Varian, and Pascal stand with the captain. He lights a candle, which begins to release a strong scent.

     "Oh my, that's quite an... interesting odor," Rapunzel says as politely as possible.

     "It's a Genella torch," the captain says. He gestures to the crates full of fruit all around them. "The smell of the pompoen plant draws the firefly. This torch keeps it away."

     As if on cue, the giant firefly appears next to the ship. It eyes the fruit longingly, but as soon as it sniffs the candle it shrieks and flies away speedily.

     The captain chuckles. "See that? They can't stand it."

     "Fascinating," Rapunzel says.

     "It's pretty simple science, really," Varian observes. "I use a similar method back in my village to repel insects during harvesttime."

     "Alright then, prepare to set sail!" The captain announces, pulling out a pocket watch.

     Pascal squeaks excitedly, and then flits out his tongue to catch a fly. Startled, the captain stammers and covers his head. "What is that?!"

     Rapunzel glances around, worried. "What?" She asks when she doesn't see anything.

     "Ahem, I think he's referring to Pascal," Varian says.

     "Oh," Rapunzel says, removing Pascal from her shoulder and holding him out for the captain to see. "It's just my friend, Pascal."

     Pascal gives him a friendly wave, but the captain still screams. "No, no!"

     "No, don't be scared! He's harmless," Rapunzel tries to reassure him.

     "I-I'm not scared, it's just... I don't like lizards is all," the captain says with a nervous chuckle, scooting away from Pascal. He then takes off in a full run. "Someone get me my sailing pants!"

     "Sailing pants?" Rapunzel repeats, confused. She glances at Varian, who only shrugs.

Once the ship leaves the port, Varian heads inside the caravan to install some of his new modifications

Once the ship leaves the port, Varian heads inside the caravan to install some of his new modifications. He pulls out a vial of green liquid, and shakes it until it starts to glow to use for lighting. He is just about to get to work when he remembers that Maximus wanted to be present for all installations. "Just what I need... a horse watching over my shoulder," he groans. "Come on Ruddiger, let's go find him."

     Ruddiger hops onto his shoulder as he exits the caravan. Varian feels the spray of the ocean water on his face, and has to fight flashbacks of their shipwreck a few weeks ago. "Max? I'm about to get started," he calls out, but he doesn't hear anything in reply. "Max? Where are you?" He walks around the ship, searching for the horse. But not only does he not see any sign of him, he also notices that he doesn't see Eugene anywhere either.

     Ruddiger begins to chitter, pointing his tiny finger. Varian looks in the direction he's pointing, and notices Shorty standing beside a broken section of the ship's railing.

     "Shorty, be careful!" Varian shouts, approaching the old man who is now hugging a yam.

     "It's okay, I trust this yam," Shorty says.

     Varian ignores the old man's remark, and studies the broken railing. "I'm pretty sure this wasn't broken before. I wonder what happened here..."

     "Some people don't abide by the rules," Shorty says, leaning against the railing

     Varian doesn't understand at first, until he sees a sign that reads, "KEEP OFF RAILING." Suddenly, the realization sinks in. "I'll wager Eugene leaned against the railing, and Max, being the stickler that he is, attempted to stop him but the railing gave out and they both went overboard!" He glances down at Shorty for confirmation.

     "Where'd you get a crazy idea like that?" Shorty asks, holding up his yam. "Did he tell you?!"

     "Ugh," Varian groans, rolling his eyes. "Ruddiger, we have to do something!" He is about to go find Rapunzel, when he hears a splash coming from the water below. "Maybe that's them!" He leans over the side of the boat where the railing is broken and gazes into the water, but he doesn't see anything in the darkness. "Eugene? Maximus? That you?"

     He accidentally leans too far and falls forward. Ruddiger grips the sides of Varian's head tightly as they both scream and fall into the sea with a splash! Varian sputters and shakes his head, treading the water. Ruddiger climbs on top of his head, shivering and soaked to the bone.

 Ruddiger climbs on top of his head, shivering and soaked to the bone

     "Shorty, go get help!" Varian calls up to the old man.

    "Kelp? I don't need kelp, I've got a yam!" Shorty yells back. He then disappears inside the ship, as it sails farther and farther away.