Chapter 14

Chapter 14

"Can you see that, hiccup?" Stoick asked when he showed his son a picture in the book they were reading. Well, Stoick was doing most of the reading while Hiccup was looking at the pictures and deciphering some of the words.

The small Viking looked at the picture with more interest, he saw all sorts of dragons flying around in a big cave. The colours were vibrant and Hiccup looked at it with his mouth open wide. "If you look closely you can see that the dragons are all flying in circles. Can you see the person in the centre?"

Hiccup nodded affirmatively, eyes still on the picture. When he looked up he could see his father looking at him. If only he were older he could've noticed the hint of pain and sadness in the elder one's eyes. But being blessed by the oblivious nature of younger ones, he could only notice the small smile his father sent him.

Feeling an itchy pain in his heart Stoick told the brunette; "Your mother had the same look when I showed her this book." He barely talked about her to Hiccup, so all he could do was look up at him in surprise. He laughed at the tall and broad Viking, proud that he could call him his dad.

"But," he said, "the story isn't finished yet."

He looked down to see if the smaller one was still paying attention, which he was, and continued reading.

"The one called the unitor of dragons and men was chosen to pave the way to peace between the race of men and of dragons. A great amount of people followed him as he was respected throughout the whole archipelago." Stoick took a deep breath after he decided to go on. "But all of that came to an end when a group of ruthless men entered the land of peace created by the unitor. They slaughtered them who wouldn't stand away from their ideals and only spared the ones who'd give them information about the whereabouts of the Unitor. Others pleaded for mercy or prayed to the gods to help them, but in the end none of them were spared."

The small Viking looked up at his father, eyes wide in shock. Stoick just have him a look filled with kindness and reassurance before he continued; "All were lead to believe that the Unitor of dragons was no more, until strange things started to happen around the archipelago. Sudden murders and disappearances took place on almost all of the islands which were under the rule of the dragon unitor before, although after some time they started to go down until no one noticed it anymore.

To this day it's believed that the rebellion of the unitor of dragons and men has never stopped, but that it's now hiding and preparing. Just waiting for their time to rise up and claim someone as their new leader. Starting a new era of men and dragon, a new rebellion, being lead by the one destined to unite all."

Hiccup looked at the last picture in the book, where there was a man depicted in a long black cape, wearing a mask to hide his face, flames surrounded him and you could see the silhouettes of dragons behind it.

Stoick noticed the interest showing on his son's face, but couldn't help to think about how much it went against his own ideals. Even though it was one of the last things Valka had left behind for him and Hiccup.

Later on in life Hiccup would often wonder about the story he was told that night, the images swirling around in his head, continuing the story in his mind fuelled by his own fantasy.

Somewhere in his teens he had decided to look for the book again, he never got the name of the book, not the author. But it was nowhere to be found. Had his father hid it?

He didn't dare to ask for it, as his father had grown colder towards him as time went on, he felt like he wasn't in the place to remind him of the peaceful nights they used to have. The nights which he had enjoyed so much. He'd seen the front of the book a few times, but couldn't make anything of it at the time. After that he dropped it and didn't think anything of it again.

Until that moment~

"The name of the book!" I need to know it, I need to have that image somewhere in my head. As I thought harder I started to visualize the cover of the book, its name and the author. I knew they were important to what was happening right now.

The name started to take shape, "the successor of the unitor of dragons and men, leader of the rebellion." The name suited the story, but why would the word successor be in it? What did it have to do with it? With the story?

As the letters of the author's name assembled I found myself dumbfounded at my own memories. I read it again and again, but it never changed. On the cover beneath the name stood the text; written and illustrated by Valka Haddock.

I started looking at my surroundings again, hoping that I wasn't lost in my thoughts for too long. As I'd suspected every person present in this room was staring at me, which I wasn't all that comfortable with. But with my newfound knowledge I felt a little more confident to stand in the midst of this group. Or should I start calling it an upcoming rebellion?

Haya~

I've come to bring you a new chapter again! As I've mentioned last chapter this was mostly flashback, and I hope you don't mind it all too much. Now that I've got the storyline all together in the direction I want it to go it's definitely easier to write new chapters. Do you have any feedback or some things you'd like to see in this story? I'm really curious to see what you think!

I have also edited all of the chapters which I wrote long long ago, should I just post it with the changes and with a lot less grammatical errors?

(Ps. listening to anime OP's and ED's while writing a chapter was a wise desicion I've made while starting writing again XD)

Thanks for reading this far! Love you lots X

To be continued

-again, soon~