Chapter 13

Wow, looks who's getting her schedule back together!

(Further notes are to be found at the bottom!)

CHAPTER 13

Hiccup's POV

All of the masked people present in this room took a step forward, towards me.
I wondered where I ended up, because ending up in messed up situations like these isn't one of my hobbies.

Remembering Snotlout I looked around once more, and upon not seeing him here in this room I decided to ask about his whereabouts.

"I don't know why you've been waiting for my arrival, but knowing that isn't one of my top priorities. Would you happen to know where I can find Snotlout? Y'know, the one with the girly scream?" I asked, and even though I couldn't see their faces through the masks they were wearing, I'm sure the facial expressions were priceless.

When I heard some confused and muffled words, I decided to add: "the other person you kidnapped."

This seemed to work, as the one I'd been talking to earlier responded. "We'll make sure to get him here, please listen to us in the meantime."

That seemed fair, I nodded and someone wearing a mask resembling a monstrous nightmare got sent away with the instructions to get Snotlout Jorgenson, I hadn't mentioned his last name, strange...

I decided to store that piece of information in my mind and get this over with as soon as I could. I looked the leader of the group standing here in the eyes, I couldn't figure out the gender of this person, so I decided not to try any longer.

The mask covered their whole face except for the eyes. Both eyes were a mixture of colors containing blue and brown. I'd never seen anything like it before, so I was quite intrigued.

"I'm sure you must have noticed the thing about our masks?" I just nodded, thinking about the simplicity of the question and not bothering to give a better response.

"This is because we're not like all of the other Vikings on this island, or other islands in the archipelago. People from every corner of the archipelago have come here, or to other bases, to help form this society. And to spread our ideals."

I listened carefully, not missing a word.

"What you see here are leaders of different groups, all representing different islands. We're everywhere, going about unnoticed and recruiting everyone we deem useful and worthy," I thought back to the conversation I had with Snotlout about the disappearances which terrified a lot of Vikings not only from Berk, but other islands too.

Pieces started to fit and more things started to make sense to me. The puzzle was near completion, but there were still some missing pieces. I needed answers, I felt like that was the most important thing at the moment. Lost in thoughts I forgot to answer, or give any response in general. And when I looked up again I received a glare from the person opposite me. A feeling of recognition started to creep up on me, but I couldn't place it just yet.

I knew this was another part of the puzzle I was making, but I didn't know where to put it yet.

"There's also a leader on Berk, someone who's been planning and preparing for this moment for a long time. The position of someone representing their island isn't given without thought. They are, most of the time, people with power and influence. And the people we place around them aren't placed randomly either." I looked up, staring straight into their eyes. I knew it, I'm sure of it.

"Who could be the one representing Berk? Someone influential, power, their opinion would be seen as valid and would most certainly be respected by others on Berk"

And as I though about it for a little longer it suddenly hit me, just when the door opened once more and Snotlout came walking in, Fishlegs by his side.

Suddenly, all of the pieces that couldn't fit started to come together, fitting the places where they should have been the whole time.

Snotlout telling me about the disappearances, Fishlegs being in charge, the three knocks on his door when the stranger came in without asking for more permission than that.
And then the eyes, the glare I recognized. It was him all along, someone with a face you won't really recognize and won't think twice about after meeting them. Unless you'd take the effort to look into their eyes.

The masks they were wearing were taken off, and I knew this shouldn't shock me as much as it did, I already knew this. It was only obvious to see the face of the stranger I'd met in the doorway when I had excused myself from the conversation I had with Fishlegs.

Fishlegs was the one representing Berk, Snotlout carefully placed as a relative of Stoick, and someone who you would easily forget about to connect it all. I'd seen Snotlout talking with different people during my stay here, but I just took it for granted and decided not to think more of it.

"I'm so stupid"

I didn't notice Snotlout and Fishlegs, who were now standing by the stranger's side, I didn't notice everyone in the room looking at me, and neither did I notice the expression of realization which must have been showing on my face.

But what did they want? What did they know about dragons?

Everyone knows of the Dragon conquerer, it's a well known story by now. But I couldn't begin to guess who they were supposed to be.

~"What is this?"~
I was lost in my own mind. I knew the answer, I just had to dig deeper, deeper into my own mind.

And then it hit me.

~Yo!~
Another chapter nailed, let's go!
The next chapter will probably be a flashback, or at least part of it will be. Flashbacks will be written in this "cursive" font style. Also, note that things in Hiccup's mind are also in cursive, if he's thinking to himself about something for example!

I hope you liked this chapter, because it did drop some bombs about where I'm going with the story and the plot. I also hope I made it come out as well as I wanted. (And as good as it seemed in my head)

Again, thank you so much for reading, I love all of you for being here with me✨

~to be continued~

—again, soon