Chapter 1

(Snape's Pov)

~~~~~~~~~~~ 10 years ago ~~~~~~~~~~~

I was at my house at Spinner's End reading the daily prophet when someone knocked on my door. I did not expect guests, so I quickly got my wand and pointed it at the door. I opened the door and saw the person who I least expected to stand in front of me. To say I was shocked was an understatement.

"Lily, what are you doing here?"
I was so caught up that I didn't even notice the baby in her arms.

"Hey Sev, can I come in? I know we haven't been talking since the... um.. you know the.. incident, but this is really important."

"Of course, come in; you know you are always welcome at my home Lily." I smiled at her.

Then I noticed the baby
"Um, Lily, who is the baby?" I asked her.
Probably another one of Potter's spawns. But why would she bring it here? While I was busy babbling in my thoughts, she called me.

"Sev... Sev....   Severus!" she shouted.

She snapped me out of my thoughts.
"Oh, my apologies, I was lost in thought. So who is the baby again?" I asked sheepishly.

Lily sighed, "That is what I'm here for. Her name is Samantha Snape. She is yours, well technically ours."
"Sev, I need you to promise me to take care of her and love her with all your heart. I can't be with her. I can't protect her; please keep her safe."

"Me of all people? Keep a baby? Lils, are you sure about that? " I was baffled.

I can see the doubt in her eyes which shouldn't affect me, but I can't help but wince at it. She replied, "I know we had some issues, Sev, but I trust you. I don't know why because I know you're one of them now, but you never tried to physically harm me."

I have my own doubts, but I will do anything for Lily, "Of course, Lily, I promise, but why can't you be there for her? Do you know something?" I was panicking inside. I am a father now. I can't believe it. I can't be a father what if- what if I turn like my father ughh that stupid excuse for a human. How can I be a father if I didn't have the best role model.

"You will find out soon enough Sev."
She passed me our baby and when I saw her I knew she was my daughter she has jet black hair just like me. I smiled.

"But Lily are you sure I am the best person to take care of her. You know my father he was abusive, destructive. What if I turned like him? I didn't have the best role model Lily you know that."

"Sev you are not going to be like your father. You are a kind man believe it or not. I know you will be the best father. And you can always ask for help you are not alone in this. James already know about her we had a long discussion but he forgave me. Only James, Sirius, and Remus know about her, and I want to keep it that way. I know about your fights in the past but I talked to them they can help you."

"Thanks." That is the only thing I can come up with. I don't know what to say I'm glad she still trusts me even after everything.

"I chose Remus to be her godfather, but you can still choose to add more."

She checked her watch and said, "I really have to go Sev. I'm so sorry for putting you in this position. The longer I'm out the longer I'd be in danger."

"It is okay Lily but please do be careful."

Lily smiled at me and looked at our daughter, "Remember that Mama loves you so much. Please be good for your Dada." She then kissed her forehead. To my shock, she kissed my cheek. 
She got out and here I am alone with a baby.

I looked at my daughter and she smiled at me.

"Hey there my little snake. I don't know anything about parenting so please bare with me" I said while rocking her.

She laughed at me. The sound of her laugh warmed my heart, and that is the moment when I promised her I would always try my best to put that smile on her face.

After a week from Lily's visit she died with Potter. I can't explain the pain I've felt. It is like she died bringing half of my heart with her. I looked at my daughter a tear fell out.

"Hey there little snake. I'm sorry I can't protect your mum." I try not to cry in front of her. She looked so sad like she knew something had happened. "I will always be there for you and will always protect you. I failed your mother but I will not fail you. I love you."

"Always"