Chapter Forty Nine

Amy's POV

It was a week before the poison was fully out of my system. It was another week after that that I was able to do any physical movements with my sore muscles. And, by the time I was actually able to see and interact with anyone, it was already nearing the end of March.

During my second week of recovery, Wendy let the facts accidentally slip from her mouth. Apparently she wasn't supposed to tell me anything until I was fully recovered, but once she let the word engagement slip, I was all over her.

I was furious that they had decided to make this decision without me. While they had been planning our certain demise, I was in bed trying not to die. I should've let it end while I had the chance.

Sophie and Parker were relieved when they saw me for the first time in months. Emily was the first to burst into tears and everyone else soon followed. Despite the emotional outburst, Emily has been distancing herself from me. When I brought it up to Wendy, she shrugged it off. There was something they weren't telling me, and Emily seemed determined not to say it.

According to Macy Black, the school had excused me easily because apparently the school district had an awful case of the flu going around therefore my disappearance more or less went unnoticed.

Despite our fake engagement, I haven't talked or seen Alexander since the day he pretty much told my almost-corpse self that he didn't like me. I translated that as, 'I don't really care whether you live or not' since he so rudely stated that while I was in bed. 

It stung, but personally I wouldn't mind his death either. It would make things much less complicated.

The time to start my plans was soon. Little did I know, the timing would be more than perfect for me.

-------

"The poison may not have killed me, but you surely will!" I growl at Wendy.

In less than a week from today, I will be back to fighting in the underground. Apparently as part of some deal they made, my father had to give up some resources and men to the Black Knights. Of course, I would have to earn all of that money back with some fights.

That meant I needed to get back in shape. Apparently, I had 'raw talent'. In my dictionary, that was an excuse to kill me personally instead of leaving it up to the enemy.

"Come on! You only need to do ten more!" Wendy tried to be enthusiastic, but I was going to bite her head off. The poison had drained my body the last month and because of that, I missed my period. Of course, after beginning to get back into shape, it came back.

Cramps weren't a good enough excuse to take a week off. Instead, since my abdomen was already in pain, they decided to test my pain tolerance by giving me core exercises to do. I've never heard of half of these. 

My breathing is heavy and it sounds so abnormal to my ears. Russian Twists were simple, but after an hour long gym experience, one-hundred of them didn't seem simple anymore.

"I'm done!" I pant, dropping the weight ball I was holding. I stand up and put my hands over my head, knowing that if I sat down and held my limbs together, I would cramp up. "You know, it's recommended you only work on your abdominal muscles for only around ten minutes, right?"

Wendy shrugs her shoulders. "I'm only following orders."

"Well, do those orders state that we're finished?" My abdomen no longer burns from cramps, but rather from overuse of abdominal muscles. If I don't get a six pack after today, I'm suing. 

"Sure do!" Wendy giggles. "After you run a mile."

My lower body burned after completing the mile. It took me twenty minutes, an all time low for me. Mrs. Black had told me to take it easy the first few weeks, but apparently, one week was more than enough time to recover.