Chapter Forty Seven

Don't forget to vote! ;) 💜

External Narrator

“She paused,” Helen murmurs to Steven. “There was a hesitation in her step. We’ve been caught.”

Steven nods to her sister, and together, they move from the window from which they were crouched under, watching the interaction happen between Kylie, Emily and the red head they had seen hanging around Amy in school the few days before she had disappeared. 

Leaves from the bush crunch underneath their steps yet they don't flinch as they continue to sneak around the corner of the house, away from any windows and hidden from the street. They pause and look at each other, both trying to absorb the information they heard and to try to piece it all together.

Steven starts out the conversation. "Amy is being 'dealt with'. What the heck is that supposed to mean?"

"You know what that means," Helen growls while looking around in what would appear as panic. "In this world, being 'dealt with' means disappearing, taking a long nap, expiring. You get what I mean."

"We can't let that happen. Do you know what he'll do if she dies? The death of this girl will spark years of painstakingly created treaties and spark the attention of so many carefully thoughtout alliances. The death of her will blow the whole country off of the map - literally!"

"It doesn't matter if she dies, there are two reasonable heirs after her!" Helen snaps with a whisper-shout. "Besides, even with her heart pumping in her chest, she still holds the power to blow the country apart!"

"It sounds like you two could use some help."

At the new, but unfortunately familiar voice, both siblings take out their guns and swiftly have it pointed towards the intruder to their conversation. Riley is crouched near some bushes next to the neighbor's fence while scrolling through her cell phone.

"My offer still stands you know," she doesn't take her eyes of her phone, but the siblings know that regardless of that detail, she would still be aware of their every move. "You have resources that I don't, and I have information that you don't. Work with me to inform and protect Amy. In the end, it'll be her choice on who she joins. But this tug of war with her isn't going to get us anywhere."

"We don't deal with snitches!" Steven growls, his voicing rising up a tad bit higher than that of a whisper.

"Well, that's too bad. I had overheard just recently the most interesting piece of information from some new personas. It appears you won't be interested therefore, I think I'll go inform the Black Knights of this new . . . Development." Riley turns to leave but Helen stops her.

"Wait! Maybe, we can, um, work something out?" It sounds like a question and she knows it, but at this point she's grasping for straws. It's obvious that whatever this information consists of, it's enough to be able to sell. If it can be sold, Helen sure as hell is going to take advantage of this sale.

"Great!" There's a smirk, and arrogance to Riley's voice in her triumphant blackmail against the siblings. "But not here, the walls have ears here. Meet me the last place we talked at at three. Don't be followed."

She ducks down and disappears from their sight. When Helen gains enough courage to walk to the bush Riley was hidden behind, there's nothing there. Not even a hole in the fence in which she could have crawled under.

-------

The walls had ears alright. Emily had run down the stairs the minute she reached the top and told Jordan and Troy to hide themselves and Amy's siblings. She didn't know where Helen and Steven had gone, but she knew that they were trouble.