Shayne x Reader - Earthquake

Y/N's POV:

Myself and the rest of the Smosh Squad are all sitting in the office doing random tasks. Shayne and I are at one side of the room; Shayne is working on a script and I'm sending all of the footage from our recent Squad Vlog from the zoo to the editors. Courtney, Olivia, Noah, and Keith are all at the other side of the room crowded around Courtney's phone watching TikToks.

Suddenly, everything starts shaking. It's mild at first and I just assume somebody moved a desk but I look at the squad and nobody is doing anything. The shaking doesn't stop and I look over at Shayne.

"What's happening?" I ask.

"I think it's an earthquake." He replies, looking around.

I panic for a moment, I've never experienced an earthquake before because where I'm from doesn't get any earthquakes. Are earthquakes really dangerous? What am I supposed to do in an earthquake?

Ian's voice sounds over the loudspeaker, "Hey guys, you can probably tell there's an earthquake happening and it doesn't seem to be letting up so everybody get on the ground, stay safe, and let's wait it out. Thanks."

Courtney, Olivia, Noah, and Keith are now huddled up on the ground in the far corner of the room.

"Get over here." Shayne says to me.

I nod and get up from my seat to join him on the floor beside his desk. As I'm about to sit down the earthquake intensifies and causes me to just kinda fall on my butt a little bit harder than I was intending. A small potted succulent falls off of the bookshelf beside us and very closely misses me.

"Crap, probably not the best place to be sitting but it's too late to move now." Shayne says with a slight chuckle in his voice.

He pulls my legs up over his and wraps his arms around me, so we're just curled up in a ball together. The shaking intensifies and things on the shelf start to fall. Something hits my face and Shayne puts one hand on the back of my head and pulls me against his chest to protect me from the falling items. I can feel them hitting my back and I feel bad that Shayne is taking almost all of it. Eventually things stop falling, probably because there's nothing left to fall, but the shaking doesn't let up. I've never experienced anything like this. It's like our whole building is sitting on top of washing machines that really need to be repaired.

Shayne keeps his arms around me and continues holding my head incase anything else falls. I can feel myself shaking but not because of the earthquake, but because I am now realizing that we're on the third floor and I think I read something about buildings collapsing during earthquakes. I know that probably won't happen but it's still a fear.

"How long do these usually last and is this a bad one?" I ask.

"This one's pretty intense but it should be over any second now." Shayne replies. Almost as soon as he says that the shaking comes to a stop, "Oh hey. I was right." He laughs.

After a few seconds, Ian's voice comes over the speaker again, "Well wasn't that fun, it lasted 32 seconds. Continue on with what you were doing and if there were any injuries for some reason or anything I should know about, please come see me."

I can't believe it as only 32 seconds, it seemed like so much longer than that.

Shayne moves his arms from around me and stands up. He then holds out his hand for me to take and pulls me up from the ground.

"How are you guys?" Courtney asks us from across the room.

"I think we're alright." Shayne laughs, "Y/N survived her first earthquake."