Ch. 25 Progress

New chapter! Finally! I'm so sorry it took so long! Life's been a little crazy and this story hits a little close to home for me so it's harder to work on than the others.
Thank you so much for sticking with me!!
I'll try to be better about updating!!
💙
—————————

"I want to go home," Elena said, looking more tired and frail than ever in her hospital bed.

Happy froze at the words, his whole body going rigid. Before, when she'd first been admitted to the hospital, he had wanted his mother to go home. Had asked Chloe countless times if they could take care of her there instead of in the hospital. It wasn't until Chloe had carefully explained to him that her going home most likely meant she'd go on Hospice care. That it meant she was going to slowly decline until she eventually died. He'd stopped pushing then. He'd rather have his Ma alive in the hospital than slowly declining in the comfort of her house. "Don't think that's a good idea, Ma."

"Mijo, I'm not going to get any better here. I don't want to die in this hospital. I want to be at home in my bed with my family. Not here. Por favor," she asked, her voice rough. (Please)

He glanced across the bed towards his cousin, who was strangely silent. She had one hand on her big, pregnant belly, the other holding tightly to Elena's. He could see the tears in her eyes as she battled whatever was going on in her head. Catching her eye, he willed her to agree with him. If they put on a united front, maybe his Ma would see reason. "With hospice care?" Angela asked, her voice thick with tears.

"Yes, mijita. If that will make you feel better, I'll do that," Elena agreed, squeezing Angela's hand.

Happy glared at Angela as he shook his head. Traitor. She was supposed to be on his side. "Don't think it's a good idea. You're good here. Got people watchin' you."

"Graciela can take some time off and take care of me," she explained, her breathing labored. "And Chloe can stay with me too. She'd like that. Give her something to do."

"No," he insisted stubbornly. "Ain't lettin' you just give up."

"I'm not in a battle," Elena stated with a sad smile. "I'm not giving up. I'm old. It's my time."

A single tear fell down Angela's cheek as she nodded slowly. "Hap..."

"No," he repeated, hating the lump he felt in his throat. "Not happening."

"I do not need your sign off or approval. I may be old pero I am not going crazy," his mother explained sternly. "I just want to go home, once and for all. I'm going to do it, whether you like it or not."

Happy hated that she was right. Hated that Angela agreed with her. "I don't," he muttered, pushing out of his chair and walking out of the room. He couldn't deal with that at the moment. Didn't want to even think about losing his mother after fighting to keep her for so long. He headed out the door and around the corner, shoving a hand in his pocket to grab a cigarette. He didn't have any. In his own anger, he'd forgotten he'd quit because Chloe had wanted him to. Deep inside his cut, he found a small ball of foil, another remnant of Chloe and the chocolate Kiss candy she routinely enjoyed. He pulled it out of his pocket, rolling it between his fingers.

Damn Chloe, he thought to himself. Damn Chloe for making him feel. For inserting herself into his life, into his family as if she'd always belonged. He had no doubt his Ma's crazy idea to go home had come from her! She was the only one who would suggest something like that. Who else would know his Ma could sign herself out without anyone else giving her permission! How could she do that to him! How could she just let him go?