Chapter 1

The latest hunt had gone well enough. It was a vampires' nest and was taken down with the big group containing Sam, Dean, Gabe, and Cas. The group of two hunters and two angels had taken down the nest of six, but not without injury.

Sam had gotten thrown and hit his head against a wall, Gabe had also gotten thrown but instead escaped with a few scratches on his arms and legs. Cas got nicked in the abdomen when one of the vamps decided to fight back with Dean's machete. Dean, unfortunately, got bit in the leg, on the back of his calf specifically, but thankfully didn't get turned like last time.

Mary and Rowena had stayed at home at the bunker with Jack, helping him with his magic. He was still new to the whole thing and Rowena was more than willing to teach him her ways. Mary had thought that the group was big enough and didn't need anyone else, so she'd also stayed home to relax.

When the group arrived home, Jack immediately ran up the stairs to them, practically jumping into Cas's arms. If he'd sensed their injuries and pain, no one knew. Cas didn't want to let go, so he wrapped his arms around Jack and carried him back down the stairs.

The other three followed behind, Sam and Gabe helping Dean hobble down the stairs. He couldn't put weight on his left leg where the bite was.

Once Jack had released Cas, he went over to give Sam and Gabe a hug while Cas helped Dean sit down in a chair and prop his leg up.

"How did the hunt go?" Jack asked as Rowena and Mary walked into the room with Rowena holding the first aid kit, which Cas gratefully took from her.

While Gabe and Mary patched up everyone, Sam told Rowena, Mary, and Jack about the hunt.

Mary walked around and gave all of her boys a kiss on the head. She knew they were all tough, but she couldn't help but worry for them. Even the angels. And Dean had gotten really injured, which, to be honest, wasn't all that surprising. He'd proven that he'd die before he let someone die, or even get injured.

Speaking of Dean, he was already passed out in his chair. Whether from exhaustion, pain, or blood loss, who knew.

Cas, realizing that his husband was peacefully sleeping, walked over and picked him up, cradling him to his chest. Cas knew he hadn't been sleeping all that well lately, what with the nightmares waking him up multiple times a night. Cas didn't need to sleep, after all.

Dean stirred a little in Cas's arms but didn't fully wake, only curling up more in his arms.

At that moment, there was a knock at the bunker door. There was no one else who knew them that wasn't in that room already.

Everyone got ready to fight, even Dean who was now standing up and leaning against Cas, putting all his weight on his right leg.

Mary, being the only one who wasn't helping anyone at that moment decided to head up the stairs when the knocking rang out once more.

"Be careful, Mom," Sam called out when Mary neared the door. She nodded and continued walking, bringing her gun in front of her.

When Mary pulled open the door, both her and the person on the other side froze. No one could see who it was.

"Mom?" Dean called out, hoping to snap her out of her trance.

"Mom?" They heard the person repeat back. That voice sounded familiar, but nobody could quite place it.

"Mom, who is it?" Dean called out again.

"J-just give me a minute," she called down.

Everyone looked to each other, wondering who the hell had Mary Winchester frozen in her spot.

Cas, not wanting Dean to stay on his feet much longer and simultaneously wanting to see who was at the door, sat Dean down in a chair, gave him a quick kiss, then ascended up the stairs.

Cas froze when he saw who it was.

How was he there? He couldn't be there, he shouldn't be there.

"Cas, who is it, man?" Dean called from down below.

He had to tell him, but he knew how he would react. Dean would freak out. He'd probably end up locking himself in his own head for hours. But he had a right to know.

As much as he didn't want to, Cas turned around and leaned over the railing. He took a deep breath as he calmed himself down. Then he looked Dean in the eyes.

"John Winchester. Your father is at the door."