Chapter 21 - Who Knew?

I patted my skirt pocket one more time to ensure I had my phone on me, my legs still bouncing from my nerves being stretched thin. A warm, large hand landed on my knee as Drew leaned over to whisper in my ear, "Are you sure you don't want me to come with you?"

I nodded my head, "I'm sure." 

A dark eyebrow rose as he silently questioned me before removing his hand from my leg. 

I took a deep breath and forced my legs to stop moving. I pulled out my phone to check the time and stood up. This was it. According to Drew, Brynn always left her English class early to use the bathroom to refresh her make-up. Apparently, she liked having the room all to herself and was notorious for locking the door to keep other people from coming in. So if I didn't want to mess up our plan, I would need to get to it before she did and hide in the stall for a few minutes. 

I excused myself from the theater and bee-lined it towards the front of the school. Ducking to the left and into the labyrinth of hallways, I kept my rapid pace as I headed towards Brynn's class. 

I peered around the corner to see if the coast was clear but quickly ducked back behind the wall. What was Brynn doing outside of class so early! I peered back around and watched as she strutted right into the bathroom, the door thudding softly as it closed behind her. 

Crap!

I took a deep breath. "Okay Lana, you can do this," I gave myself a quiet pep talk. I came out from behind the corner and tried my best to soften the squeak of my shoes on the linoleum tiles. I stood in front of the bathroom door a little longer than I'm proud of before I reached out and tried to push it open. Locked. 

Double crap!

Without thinking, I tapped my knuckles on the hard metal and knocked.

"Go away!" I heard Brynn yell through the metal barrier. 

"It's me, Sarah. Let me in!" I tried my best to add a little nasal tone to my voice. 

A few seconds later, to my surprise, I heard the click of the lock being unlatched, and Brynn opened the door. She took one look at me before immediately trying to close it in my face. With a sharp pain in my foot, I looked down to notice I had stuck my foot between the door and the frame to block it from closing all the way. 

"Go away loser," Brynn demanded, trying to nudge my foot away with her crisp white sneakers. 

With a croak, my throat drying up with every second, " I have something to show you!" I managed to blurt out. 

"Like I care," she rolled her eyes before trying to nudge my foot away again. 

"Please, you need to see it," I tried again. When it seemed like she would never relent, I decided to push my way into the bathroom instead and make her listen. Without holding back, I forced the door open, knocking Brynn back into the room as I did. 

"What the hell!" Brynn yelled. 

"I need to talk to you," I started again, closing the door behind me and blocking her exit with my body. 

"Did it ever occur to you that I don't talk to losers?" she spat. 

"Every day," I mumbled, pulling out my phone. "But I need to show you something, and we aren't leaving this bathroom until you see it." 

"What do you have to show me?" she crossed her arms, glaring at me with piercing hazel eyes. 

I pulled up the video with a shaky hand and held out my phone for her to see. She rolled her eyes for a second before she figured out what she was seeing. Then, her face began to pale. She stepped closer, snatching the phone from my hands to get a better look.