Chapter 23 - Does This Dress Say Dethrone?

"Come on, Mia! You've been in there for hours!" I yelled. 

"Yeah, come on! You have to let us see you in at least one dress," prodded Paige, winking at me. 

"Shut up, you two," Mia grumbled. "I'll come out when I'm ready." 

"I'm shocked we even got her to agree to try on a dress," Brynn noted with a smirk, taking a sip of her latte. "That's true," Paige agreed. 

Paige, Brynn, and I were huddled onto a love seat while Mia was trying on a dress for the homecoming dance. Paige had already found the one she liked and patiently sat while we tried to find a dress for Mia. 

I stood up from my spot on the couch, "I might as well go look around one more time to make sure we didn't miss any hidden gems." 

"I'll come with," Brynn uncrossed her bronzed legs, stood up with way too much grace, and linked her arm with mine. We started to peruse the racks again, Brynn methodically checking each dress as we went. 

"I don't think we will have any luck in this store," Brynn sighed, "maybe we can try the one down on 84th?" 

"That sounds good to me," I smiled. I lifted a midnight blue chiffon dress and held it up to Brynn. She eyed it over once and shook her head, "too dark."

I placed the beautiful dress back on the rack and kept searching. "What type of dress are you looking for exactly?"

She shrugged her shoulders and flipped her hair out of her face, "I'm not exactly sure yet. But I have a feeling I will know it when I see it. I've been with Austin long enough to know what he's into. All I have to do is find the perfect blend of sexy and empowered so that he can't take his eyes off me as I leave his ass behind in the dirt." The dark smirk that flashed across Brynn's face was enough to make me thankful that she was on our side for once. 

"I feel like pink is your color," I held up a skin-tight mini dress that glittered in the afternoon sunlight. Brynn scrunched up her nose and pushed it away, "that was the old me. I want a dress that will make Austin regret everything he's done to me and start my new story off on the right foot. Does that make sense, or am I just being crazy and too picky?" she nibbled on the bottom of her lip. 

"I don't think that's crazy," I patted her hand, "I just have no idea how or what type of dress will carry that long of a message." 

Brynn lifted her head back and let out another exasperated sigh, "I should have started looking for a dress weeks ago." She stopped her search and pulled on my arm to guide me back to Piage and Mia. 

"Has she come out yet?" I asked, and Paige shook her head no. 

"Mia!" I barked, "get you're butt out here!"

The curtain to her dressing practically ripped off its bar and revealed a visibly flustered Mia. Her black hair was starting to pull out of her pony like straw sticking out of a scarecrow and her face was red in frustration. 

"What the heck?" Paige sighed, "why are you back in your clothes?"

"Because I despised everything I tried on," Mia snapped.

Brynn clapped her hands together with finality, "Let's go to the next store then. And don't look at me like that, Mia; we aren't going home until we all have something to wear." she pointed with a manicured nail sharpened to perfection.

We all headed outside and made our way down the block towards the next store on Brynn's list. She pushed the wooden door open with a scrape and ushered us inside. "The women's section is towards the back," she gestured towards the left. Mia stopped in her tracks, causing Paige to bump into her back with a soft grunt.