Chapter 6 - The First Date, Part I

I made my way down towards the track surrounding the football field and stood on my tiptoes to try and spot Oscar, but he was lost in the sea of people. I continued and dodged people, and I had just reached the turf when I felt someone grab my hand to stop me. I turned, expecting to find Oscar but sucked in a breath as Austin smiled at me. 

"Hey! I was calling for you, but you must not have heard me," he smiled. He was still in his football uniform. Hair slicked back with sweat. I pulled my hand out of his and shoved it into my pocket so that he wouldn't be able to grab it again. Just being next to him made me want to throw up, and his touch sent a shiver up my spine. 

"Did you enjoy the game?" he asked. 

I shook my head no, "I'm not really interested in football. I was here for the band more than the game," I said curtly. 

He crinkled his eyebrows at me, "What do you mean you're not interested in football?"

I shrugged my shoulder, not happy that this prick was taking away my time with Oscar, "I don't like it. Too long and boring."

I could see frustration dance behind his eyes, "are you still coming to the party with me?"

I shook my head again, "no."

"Why not?" he demanded. 

"You're just not my type," I shrugged my shoulders. I tried to walk away, but I could tell he would follow me until I agreed to come with him. 

"Just come to the party for a little bit. I promise you'll have fun," he tried to reason. 

"No. Thank you," I stood my ground and raised my chin. "I'm not interested, so if you don't mind, I have somewhere I need to be."

"Lana..." he reached out for me again, but before he could touch me, Drew stepped in between us. His chest pumped up and down with heavy breaths as if he had just finished a sprint, "No means no dick," he growled. Drew glared at Austin with a stare so cold I swear I could see ice forming between them. 

After a moment, Drew looked over his shoulder and winked at me. I mouthed a silent thank you and hurried away before Austin could waste more of my time.

I pushed my way through more people and finally burst free of the crowd and saw Oscar standing just a few feet in front of me.

He was still in his band uniform; curly surfer hair pushed back from his face. I still can't get over how handsome he looked in a freaking band uniform. He grinned and held out the bouquet for me and produced a box of chocolates from behind his back. He closed the distance between us and placed the gifts into my hands. 

Just as I was about to thank him, he kissed me on the cheek, "I thought I was about to be stood up." My entire body was humming with joy as he pushed some of my crazy curls out of my face. "you look beautiful, Goofball." 

"You don't look half bad yourself," I cleared my throat and brushed some imaginary lint off of his uniform. 

"I saw Austin talking to you. Are you okay?"

I waved off his concern, "forget about him. Tonight is about us, our friendship, and finally going on our first date. I don't want to have to think of anyone else but you tonight."

"I agree," he smiled, slipping his arm around my waist to pull me closer to him, "nothing else matters more to me than you, Lana."

I raised my eyebrow, "that's a pretty bold statement for our first date, don't you think?" 

He chuckled and shook his head, "I have other things I want to say that would be even crazier, but I'm trying my best not to."

He leaned in and kissed me on the cheek again, and whooping sounds broke out from the stands behind us. We turned to find Mia, Trevor, and George smiling and taking pictures of us like groupies. I felt my cheeks warm as I looked back at Oscar, "I think we better get going before they try and join us."